Arima Kousei #1 (Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso)

The Human Metronome.

That was what they called Arima Kousei, the piano prodigy, but you thought differently. They did not know the real Arima Kousei, the one before he became a human metronome, a lifeless puppet producing dull music on the piano. You had been there since the very first performance, and you went to every single one from then onwards. You were only a kid then, mesmerized by the beautiful music played by a fellow child. You loved to see him play, and soon, you grew to love him.

You went so far to even get into the same middle school as he was in, but it was hard to get near to him. Him and his friends seemed so inseparable. All you could do, was to listen from outside of the music room every time he practised the piano with Miyazono Kaori. You were a bit jealous of her, but yet grateful. After all, she was the one who dragged Kousei from being a human metronome back to the one you admired.

It was a usual day, with you sitting outside of the music room listening to Kousei's beautiful melody, when the piano stopped abruptly.

"I know you're there. Why not you come in?" Kousei's muffled voice could be heard from inside the room.

You froze, not knowing how to react. You were in a sense, his stalker.

Pushing the doors open slightly and slipping in, you plotted yourself beside the door, blushing in embarrassment at being found out.

"Um... Arima Kousei-kun..."

"Hm?" He was going to start playing the piano again.

"I-I'm your fan!" You blurted out suddenly, making him stare at you in disbelief before bursting out in laughter.

"Fan, huh? That would make you my first fan I guess." He rubbed the back of his head with his hand, not knowing how to react to the situation. "Then, shall I play a song for you?"

"Yes please!" You replied, excited.

He then played one of your favourites, Hikaru nara.

Hearing the song, you squealed internally and unconsciously, you started singing.

"ameagari no niji wo..."

His eyes turned to look at you spontaneously, as if he was amazed at your singing abilities.

When the song ended, he spoke. "You have a nice voice."

Your face flushed once again, and your heart fluttered. 

---

From then on, every afternoon after school, both of you would meet up at the music room, with Kousei practising his pieces and you, just listening in overwhelming bliss. Kaori would sometimes be there too, and a violin melody would be thrown inside.

It was one of the days that you three were in the room, when a ball came flying into the room.

"Look out!" Kousei shouted, trying to push you out of the way but instead, he tripped on the leg of his piano bench and clumsily tackled into you, pushing you down onto the ground.

Both of you stayed awkwardly, with Kousei hovering above you, as the sports people jogged up and peered into the room to see if anyone was injured. Amongst them were Watari and Tsubaki, friends of Kousei, who started swooning at the sight they saw. Kousei hurriedly scrambled off you and sat on the floor, his eyes fixated on the ground. You did the same, averting eye contact with him. Kaori shooed the jocks away immediately, saying that they were intruding on their practice session. After all of them had disappeared, she flashed a smile at the duo before walking out of the room, saying she had something to do.

"S-Sorry about that." Kousei stuttered.

"It's okay." You looked up at Kousei, deciding that it was now or never. "Arima-kun, what do you think of me?"

"Um... You're a really good friend!" He answered with a smile.

A friend, huh.

Standing up, you turned away hoping that Kousei would not see the tears streaming down your cheeks. "I need to go somewhere, um, be back real soon." You brisk walked to the door.

Unfortunately, he spotted the pearls of water.

All of a sudden, he grabbed your hand and pulled you back onto the floor with him, pulling you into an embrace. Stroking your hair gently, he leaned towards your ear, and whispered. "Sorry, I lied. I like you."

Your eyes widened and more tears started flowing down from your eyes, although this time it was for a different reason. Not knowing what to do when you started crying even more, Kousei started panicking and wanted to pull away to check how you were, but you wrapped your arms snugly around him, not letting him see your crying face.

The two of you stayed that way for quite some time, hugging each other.

Meanwhile, Kaori stood outside of the door, a saddened expression on her face.