VIII

~~

The impact of hitting the ice-cold water sobered me up. For better or worse.

As I climb up from the pool ledge, I hug myself as I walk around trying to generate enough heat to stop the chattering of my teeth. I look up to the roof to see a disbelieving Sebastian looking at me, his face illuminated by the lampost that stood by the pool. 

I wave at him.

He shouts back at me. "Are you trying to kill yourself?!"

I roll my eyes and shout back, "That wouldn't have killed me." 

He replies, "You're unbearable."

"You are not easy to deal with either, darling." I mock.

A cool breeze rushes past me and I could feel my toes curl as my teeth chatter louder than before. "I'm going inside. It's too cold."

He snarkily says, "That's what you get for jumping into a pool during winter. At night."

I flip him off. "Fuck off."

And make my way to the backdoor only to realize that it was locked. I cuss and then proceed to make my way to the front door. I quickly make my way around the house, almost sprinting.  to get inside the house where it was warm and cozy. I rush past the backyard, making my way through the chairs that littered the lawn, and am almost near the driveway when I'm stopped. 

A voice that I didn't recognize floated up to my ears and I fling around to spot a cloaked figure. The person lifts up their hood and says one single word. 

"Syra?"

~~