II

~~

Something, more like someone, rocks into me, making me lose my balance and fall down to the floor, the backpack slipping from my grip. When I open my eyes, groaning due to my second fall in the hour, I see a mop of black hair on my face. 

I laugh and hug my best friend back, matching the intensity in which Caroline was hugging me. 

"You're here." She whispers into my ear clutching me closer to her.

I chuckle. "Of course, I'm here. It's your birthday. And I never miss your birthdays."

She chuckles in response.

I groan and try to push her off me. "Now get off me, I can't breathe."

She laughs and makes no move to get up. Instead, says "Good. Then maybe you'll die due to lack of oxygen." 

I pout. "But if I die, then who's going to give you my presents?"

She shoots up and moves to the side, sitting on the shiny floor, and looks down at me. "Presents you say? As in multiple?"

I lay on the floor, and give her a lazy smile. "I'm not answering. I'm dying due to lack of oxygen."  I repeat her words.

Caroline groans. 

And then gives me a smile.

A smile that made me terrified for my life. 

She looks behind her and makes a show of giving a very innocent smile to the two boys and asks, "Can you guys help me dump her into the pool?"

I scream. "You're evil."

She laughs. "I know."

And the boys, do exactly as she says with grins too big for their faces. Giving them an innocent smile was a waste of energy on Caroline's part. These two idiots would kill me for free. 

Sebastian walks behind me and Nathan stands in front of me. 

Just as I try to get up from the floor, somebody lifts me up from behind. Nathan lifts my legs. And Caroline stands next to me, grinning. "Change your mind yet?" She asks blinking her hazel eyes innocently. 

I shriek. "Never! I am not giving you your present!"

She shrugs. "Your choice."

Then she makes a motion to the boys to follow her. She leads them to a balcony that faced the pool and the boys grinned like maniacs, their smiles matching that of a Cheshire cat's. 

The boys positioned themselves with me still hanging between their arms. They swing me slowly, each time going farther and farther with me screaming. 

"You guys are crazy! I am going to die if I jump into the pool from the second floor!"

Sebastian rebuts. "Says the girl who pushed me into the pool from the third floor last year."