~~

I didn't recognize the people who stood in front of me. 

They looked completely different from the people that I'd looked at seconds ago. 

And that took crushed me, sucking the air out of my lungs. "Oh, my god," I say to Caroline as I gasp for breath. "You're hair is brown."

Caroline's eyes widen at this. "That's not possible."

I don't bother acknowledging her and turn to Ivanna. "And your eyes."

Ivanna's harsh whisper resonates within my mind. "The magic is tearing apart."

But I don't bother questioning her for more answers because giant, fat tears start to well up in my eyes and my throat becomes dry as I realize that I never even knew what my so-called family looked like.

I can't stay here.

 I whirl around and make my way to the small coffee table in the corner of the room, pulling open the second drawer and picking the car keys up. I grab a coat as I make my way out of the room and towards the driveway carefully avoiding contact with the people I'd believed were my family. 

They stay where I'd left them frozen as they take in what I was doing. 

And once they realize what my motives were, the dazed stupor that they'd been in disappears. 

Ivanna's image distorted before vanishing completely and the last thing I see on her face is terror. 

I ignore it. 

The gravel crunches against my feet as I make my way to the car. Out of nowhere, Caroline pops up in front of me. I jump in shock but reel it back in as I walk around her, my steps growing more rapidly than before. 

She grabs hold of my elbows and pulls me back. My body twirls around as my eyes meet her tear-stained ones. She tells me something. But I can't hear anything. 

It was like the world had been put on mute. 

And I was grateful for it. 

But I wanted to hear her. I wanted to hear and remember whatever it is she wanted to tell me. Before I left. 

So I take deep breaths and focus my mind, willing it, begging it to somehow let me hear. 

And it does. 

"-chance. Let me explain. I-" I cut her off. "You can what? Tell me."

She shuts up. 

I continue. "You know what? Don't bother. I just need you to answer some of my questions. You owe me that much."

Tears dripped down her cheeks. But I didn't regret my harsh words. 

I ask, "What is my real name?"

She stays silent. 

I'm about to walk around her and continue to the car when she whispers so softly that I don't hear what she said. "Syra."

I look at her, beckoning her to repeat. 

She does. "Your name is Syra Driscoll."

My fist clenches. 

I ask my next question. "Are you Adriana Hendrix?"

She nods, her eyes cast down.

My jaw tightens and I could feel my teeth grinding against each other.

I ask my last question, "Did I mean anything to you?"

I could hear her sobbing. 

But I ignore it. And walk past her.

And by the time the parents reach home along with Aspen I'm miles away, my car crashed against a tree.

~~