Chapter 143: Black

Hunter's P.O.V.

I really, really don't want to do that. But fortunately for me, the others and even Hooty threw me a bone, telling me I don't have to do it till we're completely sure I am actually cursed. Even Edric agreed. I just need to take it easy for a while. Slept better than I thought I would. Picking up the scroll, bored and not sure what to do, I text Edric.

Immediately he responds.

'Hey you~'

...

'Hello. You.'

And that's my attempt at flirting. That's embarrassing.

'Is your gem black? Just trying to make sure.'

Looking down to confirm his answer, I answer back positively.

'It's still yellow. Worse case scenario, I'll go talk to hooty.'

'Well that won't be easy.'

'I found out in the human realm, deer sometimes run in front of their vehicles and get killed. What if I fling myself in front of one?'

'Woah! That's crazy talk. Everything should be fine if it worked out for Eda.'

I guess so. But what if it doesn't? What if this is different and it's even worse than the owl curse?

'Goodnight.'

A pause before Edric replies to me.

'It's the middle of the day.'

'I'm sorry. I just got nervous.'

And so I continue to text him, talking about other things to get my mind off of the wendigo thing.

.

.

.

And then three more days pass.

.

.

.

Waking up and stretching my arms, feeling well rested and rejuvenated, yet a little tired, I get up after twenty minutes. Looking out the window with actual positivity as I think to myself 'maybe I'm not cursed at all'. Because nothing has happened so far.

Maybe I don't even need this gem. Placing my fingers on the sapphire, thinking of removing it, I notice it having a painfully dark tone this time. Less than half of it turning black...

No! No! No! No! What can I do about it? Eat palisman? No... I just have to go to Hooty... As much as I don't want to. But I remember Belos telling me using magic is what caused her to become the owl lady. I can't use magic like she could. I really hope this isn't because I need to eat something specific. Opening the door and covering my chest to hide the gem, I walk to the door demon, dreading the conversation.

"Uhh... Hooty." "Hoot?" I take my hand away, revealing my gem which will be covered in darkness if nothing gets done about it. "Hoot! Well, well, well~ look who needs my help." I roll my eyes at him, getting a glance at his smug face at this. "Can you fix me or not?" "Well just let Hooty work his magic! Eda could do it, so maybe you can!" Maybe. 

(How should Hooty do this? Does anyone have any idea how this should play out?)