Chapter 87: Grandma

If Belos ever catches Hunter again:

Hunter: *Contemplating running away*

Belos: Hunter, you're not thinking of running away again, are you?

Hunter: What? No! You're such great company.  I love having to change your bedsheets five hours a day. And your war stories are so interesting.

Belos: That reminds me. Did I ever tell you the time I single handedly slaughtered a group of-

Hunter: *Runs away*

Luz's P.O.V.

"You act really, really weird whenever Edric is around." Lilith tells Hunter who gets up, putting the ice heart in his pocket. "I gotta go practice glyphs outside!" Hunter steps towards the door. "It's night." Lilith comments. "Oh, and something I've been meaning to ask." She continues, making him stop.

"It took me so long to get on The Emperor's good side. But you just being around got such special treatment. Why would you give that up?" Hunter turns to look at her. At first I was expecting him to lash out and yell at her, but he smiles. Relieving at first, till the smile seems a lot more mean spirited while his eyes narrow.

"Well grandma-" I rush to him with an attempt to keep things peaceful. "Hey, uhh.. We could try mixing glyphs!" Lilith glares at him. "All I asked is why you were treated so differently!" Hunter storms angrily out.

Lilith brings a hand to her forehead. "So infuriating! You two must have the patience of saints." Edric follows Hunter outside while saying "Hunter! Hunter!" "Lilith. Hunter wasn't trying to be m- ok, maybe he was trying to be mean. But I don't think he wants to talk about Belos anymore." I start out.

"Didn't you see that scar? I know Belos gave it to him, but he won't even tell me. Not even Ed. I know Kikimora thinks he's treated better too. But he can't be." Lilith looks down for a moment. "I never considered this. He just always acted so snarky. And given better missions. A stronger staff."

That part makes sense, but it sounds Belos was more harsh in private. "I'll have a talk with him." Hopefully I can talk things out with him, calm him down. Actually, maybe not. Him and Ed are probably having a moment, so I change my mind.

(Spelling? Chapter was short because I want to change P.O.V.'s in the next. I don't like making two P.O.V.'s in the same chapter)