Chapter 16: Realization

Yet again, days pass but there's one difference. Right now I'm getting even more antsy in this castle which may be big but it feels like a prison. Kept in a luxurious cage. Sure, I can go outside but it doesn't feel like outside. At most of what I can do is just walk around the castle or read. At the moment I'm walking throughout the halls but spot something in one of the many dark spaces of the hall. Something bright red in the air, so in curiosity I step closer to investigate.

Rascal?! Did he sneak in? "You can't be here!" I whisper with clenched teeth. The small bird quietly chirps at me and grabs me by the hair hanging on my forehead, using it like a person uses reins on a horse to steer. This again. "You ca-" I try to say but realize I'm being bled to my uncle's room. Why there?! I tear my hair away from this bird's beak but I hear through the open door my uncle. This time he's not murmuring but talking more clearly. In fact, sounds like he has an excitement to that soothing voice. But what I hear makes my heart drop.

"The day of unity... I wish it could be sooner but I can't turn time forward. Now that I think about it, I wish I never gave him that scar. And those scars on his body too. At least there under his clothes, right? The only scar to worry about is on his face but I don't know how you'll feel about it. At this point, he's just a walking corpse. But hey, at least you'll be younger than ever. You'll have plenty of time to adjust to your new life. I'll have to get used to not calling that body 'Hunter'." Is he saying what I think he's saying?! I can't be sure but... I think he's talking about me being some kind of vessel.

Luckily for me I'm eavesdropping behind the wall instead of the door, so he doesn't hear me as far as I know. Covering my mouth while taking a sigh, I step back without looking behind me and bump back into a torch, causing the large object to drop and make a painfully loud clang. Now it feels like my heart completely stopped. Before realizing it first, I notice the cardinal is out of my sight as footsteps make their way over to me till out the door.

I didn't even move. I was in a stage of fright and unable to make a move besides hesitatingly moving back. "Were you actually making an effort not to make a sound? Because if you didn't knock this over..." And he picks it up and places it nonchalantly back on the floor. "I might not have ever heard you. I thought you learned your lesson. What will it take? Do you enjoy what you do to yourself?" He doesn't sound soft anymore. He just sounds so done.. and that is what's terrifying to me right now.

(Spelling errors? And is everyone in character?)