|| 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐓𝐫𝐮𝐞 𝐄𝐧𝐞𝐦𝐲 𝐀𝐭 𝐏𝐥𝐚𝐲 ||

Start from the beginning

"Wow, you've really done your homework," Luna said. She flicked through the document to see various still images of herself on the Vengeance. "You know, most people these days look at stuff like this on a screen."

Samuel shook his head, making a face. "I can't think of anything worse. Books are the way to go."

"You and my sister would get along well."

"I can imagine, but I think we'll get along well too."

Luna tilted her head to the side, feeling unconvinced. She removed the cigarette from her mouth and tucked it behind her ear instead.

"So, why did you let that crewman live?"

"Does it matter? That's one person. Just one. I'm responsible for the death of thousands."

"Miss Gillian, that one person is all we need to start building your case." Samuel took a breath and cleared his throat, inching forward in his chair. "But I've also been made aware that you procured a data drive on the U.S.S Vengeance that returned with you to San Francisco."

"They confiscated it," Luna said. "I have no idea where it is."

Again, Samuel smiled. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a small wooden box.

Luna leant forward to peer at the contents once it was opened. There it was. The data drive sat, nestled amongst a purple fabric, perfectly intact. "How did you get it?" She whispered with widened eyes.

"It's evidence we can use," he said. "Plus...I'm pretty good at getting what I want."

☆☆☆

Samsa's hands shook as she smoothed down the front of her skirt. She was dressed in her grey Starfleet uniform, sat between Scotty and Mason on one of the first few rows of the auditorium, awaiting the start of Luna's trial. The several days leading up to it had passed painfully slowly, only making her anxiety worse.

The only thing keeping her calm was the amount of support she had. A large majority of her close friends within the crew were also sat with her: Leonard, Nyota, Hikaru, Pavel, and Carol.

"How're you holding up?" Mason asked, softly.

"Just can't wait to be on the other side of all this," Samsa said, trying to control the wobble in her voice. She looked at her friend and dug her nails into the palms of her hands. "Mason, you...you haven't seen anything that suggests the outcome of the trial have you?"

Mason shook his head, casting her a sympathetic smile. "I'm sorry, Sams."

"I'm the one who should be sorry. It wasn't fair that I asked." Samsa looked towards the front panel of the courtroom and found comfort in Jim's gaze.

He was sat at the very front, on one of the panels. Both he and Spock had been appointed adjunct counsel for Luna and Khan's cases due to the special circumstances. It put Jim in a difficult position, stuck between his personal life and doing what was best for the Federation.

"By the power vested in this body by the constitution of the United Federation of Planets, we call this trial to order!" The Judge rose from his elevated seat, prompting the chatter in the room to cease. He was a middle-aged, African-American man with neatly groomed facial hair. "This case falls under the Federation's jurisdiction, not Starfleet's, due to the massive destruction and loss of life inflicted on the civilian population. Guards, bring in the defendant."