Chapter 28: The unthinkable

Detective Wan's leg appears to be heavier than usual, but the worst part is that his heart weighs more than his limb. It's hardly great to eat with someone you don't care for as he ended up in front of one of the nice eating establishments. Oribe Dining was a really quiet place. It was because, for a regular guy like him, high-end places are reserved for exceptional events like anniversaries, birthdays, and weddings.

" Mr. Wan Ariz " After he entered the grand venue, a middle-aged woman greeted him in a gentle and friendly tone.

" Yes " " That's me "

" That way sir " The woman ushered him down the hall to a dining room that was adequate enough to host four to six people.

Like normal routine for the man, he stops in front of the sliding door to prepare himself for any scenario that might play inside that room. He makes sure to flatten the crease on his black collar shirt while also changing his expression into a poker face.

He knocked on the screen door cordially before sliding it open and entering the room. One elderly gentleman appears to be delighted as he walks into the room. Even so, Detective Wan disregarded the smile, insinuating that there is a conflict between the two.

The old man, in contrast to Detective Wan, has gunmetal grey hair that covers his head and appears to be quite gentle. A mesmerising smile with jaded looks was flashed, making everyone in the room feel at ease, but evidently, the only man in the room with the exception of the old guy appears to be erecting an invisible barrier in the maximum range.

Detective Wan shuffled uncomfortably on his walk as he approached the seat. His eyes seemed to laser in on that man as if he was his target of hunting for today.

" I guess the news really travel fast " He remarked as he took a seat in front of the old man.

" It nice to meet you Detective Wan " His voice was surprisingly gruff unlike his gentle looks " You such a good-looking gentleman " A praise of formality were dropped.

Detective Wan is undeterred by the modest compliment.

" Enough with all the game that you try to play "

Detective Wan then gave what could only be described as a fatalistic smile before he asked seriously " Do you invite me here to told me to stop me from using the document? "

" I cannot put a brake on someone who always sprint fast in his action " The old man embraces the question with a warm smile. " Just used the document in the manner that you desire "

" Really!? " With a mischievous smirk, Detective Wan added, " What's the real reason you arrange the dinner tonight then? "

The elderly gentleman appeared to be in a pleasant spirit. " I just want to asked about the progress of your investigation "

Detective Wan heaved a long sigh looking down " I'm sorry Datuk Arman " He then lift his head back to say " You know right, I'm cannot meet with the victim's family during the investigation "

Meeting with the victim's family generally comes without any personal biases for Detective Wan, but this is not the case if somehow the family is also engaged in the nefarious practices happening behind the scenes.

He knew the old man in front of him was not only the victim's father, but also might be a villainous maestro who ruled over his entire superior. But, again for present future, he understands that it is merely an assumption without a concrete proof except for the ledger.

Datuk Arman nodded agreed with the statement " Sure I know that, but you just can perceived this like an old man treating a young gentleman to a dinner "