Chapter 24: You are the reason

" It's such a hassle!!! " Danielle moaned as she typed something on her laptop.

Detective Wan couldn't help but smile at her theatrics. " Hey, don't whine, just fill in the details on the laptop "

Danielle stop typing and beam a laser to her superior, " I've always wanted to know why you keep your investigation notes in your tiny notebook " She sarcastically commented, " Such an analogue man."

"This is my trophy Danielle " Detective smiled casually prior to actually putting a serious expression on his face.

" Huh!? " " What nonsense this guy spewing now " She muttered cautiously, as if she didn't want his boss to hear her.

" What do you say Danielle " He questioned vehemently.

" Oh, boss, nothing " She gave a cheeky smile, " So, why did you refer to the book as a trophy? "

" I never finished using the book before I concluded a case " He recalls, tilts his head. " That's why, whenever I started a new investigation, I always used a new book " Detective Wan said with a toothy grin.

" Uuuuu " She made a sound to tease his boss. " I think that kind of cool boss " Danielle nodded in admiration. 

" Ehhh, I took it back, its not cool because it always me to fill the report on the progress of the investigation " At the sudden realisation, her lips protruded glumly.

Detective Wan burst out laughing once more, plainly amused by his subordinate's shenanigans. " Just finished it quickly."

" Okay, okay, " she raised a hand in defeat, giggling.

Having losing his parents in a single homicide case really pushed this gentleman to pursue this career. Becoming a detective is escapism for this soul to fill his void of loneliness. But this time he can sense that it's not going to be easy like heretofore.

Detective Wan ponders, under the searing shower, with streams of fluid secluding his body, whether dying is truly such a dreadful thing. Everything that is gloomy could be disposed. The anguish, the memories, the bereavement, and the wounds

Since he began this investigation, these sentiments have been running through his head more than they used to. Every night, the shadow of bad thoughts creeps beneath his leg like contraption, a mist reaching for him with its crooked claws.

" Ding Dong " " Ding Dong "  Bell sound of his home break the thought on his mind. With a wet hair, red sweater and black short he opened the door.

Danielle came on the other side of the door with a sour frown and a hand on her waist, gripping two takeaway food packages. " This is an abused of authorities! " She stomping into the condominium own by his superior.

Detective Wan only gave her a warm smile. He ruffled his hair and took a seat on his chaise lounge sofa, " Instead of accepting my offer to pick up the papers at your house, you offered to come here alone "

"That's not an issue " Danielle scowled at her boss, rubbing her slightly chubby cheek, " The problem is you always asked me to buy you food " She placed the takeout food on the nesting table at last.

" Ayyy, don't be a cheapskate " He yanked the cover off the packaging, " Don't worry after we finish this case, I promised I'd take you to a good dining restaurant "

Her expression brightens, " Reallyyyy!? " Her little mouth emitted a high-pitched scream of delight.

" Sure, you can pick the location and the price isn't a constraint "

" Deal!!!" She exclaimed happily. " Hmmm, so tastyyy " She continued to eat the food she brings in a happy mode.

Trust, respect, self-awareness, inclusiveness, and open communication are all necessary components of a successful working partnership. In his team, these aspects are well implemented. Due to outstanding teamwork, the squad has a good track record of arresting criminals. A mysterious brown envelope was set-aside on the sofa. After finishing a meal. The focus seemed back to the case.

Detective Wan's face furrowed in skepticism. " This—, this—, " he said, his face pallid, " This document makes this case more complicated " He said after a little pause.

" Yes, I was really startled when I received this Intel " Danielle said as she gulped the mineral water.

It is not rather the content of the document that were mysteriously shocked him but instead the timing of these document were found and the timeline of these events. Fate and coincidence Intertwines together and the same track of the case.

" So, sir, what are your thoughts? " Chilling on the sofa, she asked.

" Danielle, I think I'll have to start again from scratch of the case because this paper has completely screwed up my investigation " He switched on his computer.

Danielle arched an eyebrow at him, suggesting that she didn't understand what he was saying.   " Why do you make things so complicated when you could just use that information? "

In doubt, he scratches his head. " No, Danielle, we need to double-check that this information is accurate " " If it's true then, we really need to change the course of our investigation " When he was contemplating, he nibbled his lips as a habit.

" All right, then, you do you " Danielle acted as though she didn't care. " Anyway, boss, when you finished interrogating Jafri, did you have any gut feeling? " She asked the inquiry while hugging the little cushion.

Detective Wan eventually shifts his sight away from the document and stares Danielle down,        " Not yet, Danielle, I won't be able to see the wolf lurking among the sheep until I feed them grass one by one "

The existence of the document is really messing with Detective Wan's head. He feels like a fish swimming in front of the bait, but he's not sure if it's just bait or a legitimate case lead. Before he could use the material, he needed to strategise and conduct research. For sure, this case even can shake up the best-claimed detective of the country.