Chapter 26: Enough is enough

Room of interrogation, a nightmare for the suspect but surely a playground for the interrogator. This specific room at Bukit Aman Police Station was spacious enough to accommodate three people and one steel table at the middle, but not so enormous that there is a lot of wasted space. Huge room with a lot of wasted open space may cause the suspect to lose concentration on the subject of the interrogation.

After a series of theoretical lectures in college, Putera eventually finds himself in the practicality of the process, despite the fact that the circumstances are not ideal. Jafri's experience spoke to him last night slightly worried him a considerably, but he chooses to believe everything would be fine as long as he speaks the truth.

One immaculate eyebrow raised and pale-painted lips pressed tightly " Okay Putera, don't need to be nervous "

" Just answer my question and you're good to go, okay? " Detective Wan start the interrogation with a rather kind attitude.

He nodded calmly, " Okay sir "

" Putera, 22 years old and final year student for degree at University of Malaya right? " Inspector Wan looked at the paper on his hand as he blurted out the details.

" Did I get it right? " He asked for the confirmation.

" Yes sir "

Another page was turn tune him for a next question, " From what I've learned, Jafri has been attempting to lure you out of your shell since you were a boy, and he's tried everything, from clubs at school, parties, and sporting events it's all there, but despite his best efforts, you never budged "

" Is that right, Putera? " He asked for another confirmation, batting his exquisite eyelashes and caressing his own hair.

" Yes sir " His brown eyes widened slightly, a little blindsided by the depths of his friend's testimonies.

Detective Wan leaning a bit closer to the young man in front of him " And when he invited you to join this trip, you said yes right away? " " That's strange " He remarked perplexed with the thought. " What bugged me is why now? " He prolonged the question.

" I only accepted because he put me on the spot in front of them." " If I deny his offer in front of everyone, he would be humiliated," Putera muttered, puckering his nose. Putera manages to keep any trace of exasperation out of his response.

" Are you sure that's the only reason? " Detective Wan asked, crossing his arm in the hopes that the young lad would make a slip in his tongue.

" Yes, sir " Putera replied calmly.

As a final-year criminology and sociology student, he learnt to manage his emotions and refrain from expressing his true feelings. He realised that interrogated individuals must be tough, courageous, and emotionally robust, as any unusual behaviour will raise suspicion in the eyes of the authorities even though you're innocent.

" Do you know the victim personally before the trip Putera? " Detective diverted the question.

" No sir, I bumped a few time with her before on campus but I have never had a single conversation with her before the trip " He replied, still no hint of nervousness in his tone.

" Okay sounds realistic " After penning the statement in his notebook, he put down the pen.

" Do you notice any strange behaviour or any strange events occurred throughout the journey? "

He ponders for a while " Hmmm, nothing unusual " 

" Oh... " Sudden memories hit him.

When Detective Wan noted the small shift in expression, he hurriedly reopened his small notebook and asked, " Yes, Putera, any memories come flooding back? "