Chapter 27: Then and now

On one of these tangents, his path took him down a side street in a bustling town of Kuala Lumpur. Even though it had a bustling trade on weekdays, the street was large yet passive. All of the residents appeared to be kneeling down to their digital master.

A mindless stroll led him to a little place on the urban periphery. He'd been walking down the street for thirty minutes. The street, like an island in the middle of the ocean, stood out in contrast to its drab business district, and with its freshly painted doors, beautifully polished brasses, and general cleanliness and gaiety of note, one small shop immediately captured and pleased the man's eye.

The scent of honey flowery slipped into his nostrils, and the calm and serene feelings cleared his mind, allowing him to gloss over the fact about the current case for a moment. He suddenly realised he had been standing in front of a lovely floral shop for quite some time. With his nose, he squatted down to a pot of unknown flower and close the range between the smell and him.

" Ding-a-ling " The melodious tinkling sound of a hand-held brass bell produced by the breeze of the air opening the door caused him to gaze up.

" Can I help --, " The woman's voice stop to a halt after sees the face of the man in front of the shop

" Detective? " The woman muttered the words slowly.

" Doctor Emilia!? " He exclaims, shocked and appalled.

" What are you doing here? " Emilia's lovely floral attire appears to suit her well, which he finds unusual given the imagery of a ferocious doctor in a lengthy lab coat that still plagues him.

" Do you lead a double life? " He seems to cannot believe to the scene in front of him.

Doctor Emilia scoffed watching the response from the man " No, this is my cousin's shop, I only help to fill for her today because she had to attend the school board meeting with her son "

" Oh... " He exclaim receiving the answer and smile politely.

While she struggled to re-tie a pink apron that was untied, she uttered, " Don't just stand there, come inside and I'll make you a cup of coffee "

Feeling awkward and embarrassed, he tried to decline the invitation " Its fine, I don't want to trouble--, "

" Shhhh, just come inside " She interrupted to stop the man's rejection.

" Okay... " " But--, Wait before that--, " Detective Wan went behind the Emilia's back and suddenly help to tie the apron that was seem to be left undone as the attempt by her was unsuccessful.

Ten seconds. It only took ten seconds for him to help tied the loosened apron but they feel like it was ten hours. Both were flustered by the situation especially Doctor Emilia who seems fluttered by the act of courteous done by that man who he perceived as an arrogant person.

She coughed nervously before muttered slowly,

" Thank you... "

That gorgeous smile and that radiant face created an amazing attraction as he was pulled towards her and follows her inside. It's hard for him to decline an offer coming from this woman.

" Please have a seat " As if she were a gentleman, Doctor Emilia dragged a chair from the round table beside the counter.

" I saw one man standing in front of the shop, completely clueless, and I never expected it to be you," she joked.

" Ohhh " he remarked as he scanned the shop's premises. "I was attracted by the floral smell that was placed in front of the pavement."

"Do you mean the flower in the yellow vessels?" Emilia asks, steadily pouring black coffee into a cup.