Chapter 19: He is the man

The night transforms into a large black blanket that shields the earth from the world's harshness. Tonight was a rather gloomy night, and one soul was lost in the severity of the universe.

Buzzing sound of police sirens permeated through out the city. Closer than the sirens, the camera's shutter sounds ornamented the scene's gloomy day. As the police sealed the location as a crime scene, it was graced by yellow barricade tape.

The entrance of one middle age man received a bowed down from the police officers. The man was remarkably handsome with a model height figure. His basalt jaw and Spartan shoulders spoke of strength of his credibility. A stellar smile and clear stream almond eyes complete the look of the detective.

" Detective Wan " A woman in her late twenties appears to salute the man as he enters the area. Her eyes stare out from under hooded eyes, her bowed shape lip twisted in a disheartening expression.

Detective Wan was a man of many accomplishments. Even though he still in early 30s, he became the youngest Detective to have his own criminal team. This was given to him as he singled handedly took down one of the biggest syndicate that control the drug transaction in the golden triangle.

" Danielle, Details " To start making a note, he takes out a new 5x5 notebook from his black denim jacket.

" Her name Sarah Binti Arman, age twenty-two years old and was found around seven at night by five of her friends " Detective Danielle, which his female assistant started to give the details to him reading the report from the notes she made in her phone " The body was found in a 7 feet horizontal hole behind this giant green dumpster "

" The body was found lying upwards naked without any strings of clothes, she also had a few bruised and scar on her face and head but strangely no blood founded near the victim " Danielle closed her phone as she finished the report.

" So, it's really that infamous missing girl? " He looked down upon the corpse before him. Poor lady. No blood sprayed all across the floor, no smell tainting the air with night scent. Scars and wounds in the shape of arcane markings cover the deceased woman's body, or what left of her.

Danielle smacked her lips to confirm, " Yes sir ".

" You mentioned five of them found the body, Danielle? " While seeing a scenario of five young people in remorse of the situation beside the alley's entrance, Detective Wan asked his female assistant.

" Yes sir "

" So, and what you try say is that this riddle brought all of them here? " He stared at Danielle lifting his eyebrows.

" Yes sir, this is the riddle they gave me " Danielle handed the wooden box that she took from the group when she arrived at the scene ago.

" Weird... but interesting " He grinned.

" Hmmm, okay meet me at the police station, you accompany them first for the witness statement procedure " Detective squatted down peeking his head into the hole, " I will examine the scene more before heading there "

" Roger that sir " Danielle nodded and went away from his superior. She instructed the other policemen to show the group a path away.

It was a silent ride to the police station the entire distance. They didn't mention anything since they twigged this was a topic that couldn't be handled in a single vehicle ride.

The car is filled with weeping sounds. Putera offered to drive because he was the least impacted by the situation. Putera watched helplessly Melur and Jasmine cry quietly, his heart throbbing all the while, but he knew he had to place boundaries. As the old tears dried up, new ones appeared.

He cast a glimpse to Jafri's face, only to find him pressed against the window, staring into the void of the surrounding empty shells. Adam appears to be considerably impacted as well, as attested by the blank expression conceived in his face, which throws his thoughts into the concrete jungle of the metropolis.

A formal protocol is followed during the witness statement. It's a repetition of the Thailand trip, but this time it's not a missing person, instead, it could be a murder investigation. 1 hour of witness interrogation ended smoothly without any conflict.

" It's worse than a nightmare " Jasmine blurted out as she entered the lobby's waiting area, as she was the last person to make the statement.

" I swear that I will find the killer and make sure he pay for all this " Jafri clenched his hand in anger.

Melur enter the conversation " Can we find the killer by ourselves "

" No, we will only interrupted their job " Adam said composedly.

Jafri shift his empty stare to Adam " Yup, I might became impatient before but we really need to believe in police this time " his gazed turn to Melur " They said it's a murder case "

" Still we can conduct our own investigation " Melur said desperately. " We even solve the riddle together " " Let's do this guys... " She pleads again.

" Nope, Detective Wan reminds us multiple time just now to not do any reckless move " Putera joins to convince Melur.

" Jasmine... what about you " Melur's eyes turns watery in the verge of crying.

Jasmine shakes her head " Let's be patient Melur... "

Hopeless and Sadness, these two main emotions embrace herself " I see your point... " She spat out, " You're saying that we should just stand still, do nothing and only wait for the police to find the killer, " She sobbed. " I don't believe the police, we might find Sarah before if we do it by ourselves instead of doing nothing!!! " After shouted at them, she marched into the toilet without looking back. Melur was on the edge of crying for the second time.

What is the maximum amount of tears a girl can hold? She clearly couldn't take any more of this. She was only twenty-two years old, and the loss of her best friend had a significant impact on her mental health. Melur now wishes she had never gone on that ill-fated vacation.

Half an hour later, all of them finally left the police station. Adam tried to say goodbye to her girlfriend, but emotional state caused her to ignore him. Sadness affects everyone at some point in their lives, and it can be seen in both behavioural and physiological manifestations. This case might be too much for their mental health yet they cannot undo what has already unfolded. Turn the page and move on is the least they can do.