Chapter 16: Friends with brain

Six month already passes after the case was closed. Everyone return to their home exactly two days after the trip except for Jafri who waits there till the last moment of the case were announced closed.

Sulking in the somber mood of life became a new norm for the rest of the group. In desolation and distress, in despair and teeming forlorn, in the loneliness and grief but mostly in a moment of themselves as misery needs company. It always better that two feel gloomy than one does.

Sitting on his bed, Jafri sighed. He had his earphones in and was just watching the fan spinning on him. It appears that the guilt has engulfed him for the past 5 months, as he completely blames himself for everything that has occurred.

The news of a missing girl has remained in the news until now. The media circus seized the opportunity for a scoop when the daughter of a powerful person went missing mysteriously.

He then went downstairs to the kitchen. As he stood in the kitchen with his hands on his hips, staring at the microwave for his pizza to heat up,

" Clang "  loud, sound of steel fence outside put him in tiptoe.

Initially he thought the sounds coming from the neighborhood cat but out of sudden he can hear a lightly footstep outside his house. He just held his breath, unsure what the next action to take. He knew something was wrong. He could feel it.

He approached the window and peeked out. Alarmingly, he noticed a man wearing a black mask placing a box on the shoe rack. " Hey!!! " yelled Jafri loud. He raspingly opens the door to catch the guy. The mysterious man kicked the motorcycle on his way out to slow down Jafri.

The sprint of two men began in the early night. Jafri started running in the direction of the dark park. His mind swarmed with so many questions. Who is that man? Why he sneaked into his home? Is this a prank made by some childish kid? Does this man related to Sarah's case? If so, why he came out after 6 month? For a split second he actually had a heart and her mind hoping for the thought that this man is a key to the Sarah's missing. Or maybe that was just his adrenaline possessed his hopeful mind. Long sprint really test his stamina. They already enter the deep part of the park consist of thick bush decorated the path for the runner.

" Oups " The small brick laying in the park bring Jafri to the ground falling. " Nooo!!!" Panting, trembling, breathless, he groaned with frustration. The mystery man left sprinting away into the darkness of the night. Now, he losses the only clue to this mystery only he was just few steps away from catching the guy. He looked at his watch, 30 minutes has passed since he chased the black hoodie man. He just realised he would be late for the group meeting for his last assignment for his degree.

He dug out his phone in the small poaching bag to check the time. He returns back to his single home and just sat at the bench outside with a red mysterious box in his hand with head hanging down in frustration.

" What happened!? " Putera came running from the neighbourhood entrance with a plastic bag of food he bought for Jafri in his hand. He couldn't help but notice his friend's disheartened expression.

" What is that box you're holding?" He takes a seat next to him.

" I-- Chase-- this mysterious—man--, he sneaked into my home leaving-- this wooden box on my mailbox " He stuttered as he short on breath from the entire running.

Putera grabbed the box from Jafri's grip and studied it gently. " Jaf... " After few seconds of examining he called his friend " Look at this... " He showed the bottom of the box.

" Oh no... " He surprised to see a carved name of Sarah on the surface of wooden box.

Putera still examine the box " Yes, is this some kind of prank? "

" Prank or not, at least we got something related to Sarah " He wiped his sweat, " We need to open this now "

Putera stood and looked down to his friend " Let open this inside "

Jafri nodded and followed his friend inside. Curiosity that had been buried deep within them could no longer be suppressed. This duo of desperate souls tries to open that mysterious box in the living room.

" Open the box faster Put " Jafri crouching behind his friend.

Putera brushed his friend's hand on his shoulder " I got this, don't rush me "

Putera try shaking the red box to attain the impression of contents. The sound of a clacking object in their ears gave them the impression that something ominous was stirring inside the box. Putera gradually opened the box, one step at a time.

" Shitttt, that shocked me... " He incidentally throws the box to the carpet shocked with the content inside.

" What's wrong? " Jafri asked frightened, as his vision was block by a broad shoulder of Putera.

" There is a strange-looking doll with a burnt piece of paper... " Putera calmly gestured at them.

" What is this!!?? " Jafri was completely taken aback by a white plushy doll with a resemblance shape of human and large huge black eyes.

" Is this voodoo doll? " He asked shaking.

" Yes... and No " Putera shrugged.

" Huh!? " The respond puzzled Jafri

" This kind of doll usually used by people that practice black magic to harm the target but... " He took a breath," There is no needle poked in the body of the doll, so this means it's not a voodoo doll "

" Oh... " Jafri only exclaimed.

Every gut and muscle of their body seemed to became stiff. Their hair stood up as they finally turn their attention to the paper that has a slight burn on the side.

Putera squirm as this piece of paper finally turn itself into the revelation. Both of them read the content together, the lips turn dry, every inch of their hair stood up as if something sinister were there with them. Very likely something bad.

Chasing moth among the butterfly,

Two days to crisp the moment,

Humiliation of the Raven,

Six full moons to crack,

Only when the elements are merged

Jafri took a sit in the thumb sofa holding the paper " Is this some sort of a spell? "

" Hmmm, I'm not sure dude, it might seen as a spell with this doll " Putera held the doll with a tissue to avoid any skin interaction with that creepy doll. " My gut keeps telling me this is not spell, it's more to riddle "

Jafri furrowed his eyebrows, " Why do you think like that? "

Putera's hand keeps fidgeting the doll " You see, usually people made a this kind of spell or ' santau ' to the target from other places which is done remotely, there's no need for them to send this doll to us " He leaned over his seat " I think this like an invitation to the game by some psychopath "

" Hmm, that's convincing, but why after 6 months? " Jafri stills puzzled with the situation.

" Not sure, maybe this riddle will answer your question "

They both look at the burning piece of paper simultaneously wondering what kind of mystery and answer this clue hold.