Chapter 29: Answer without question

" Good morning Melur, our first female from the group for the interrogation " Detective Wan said as he entered the interrogation room, his charcoal pocketbook in one hand and his favourite notepad in the other. " Do you feel nervous? " He queried daintily as he took a seat.

" A little bit " The remark was simple and short accompanied with a faint smile by Melur.

He shifted his gaze to the table and opened his notebook,

" Good, just speak the truth, then you will be fine "

" Okay sir "

" Nice " Detective Wan nodded and return his sight on the girl sitting in front of her " Melur Binti Abdullah, 22 years old and also course mate of Sarah " " Is that right? " He asked a follow-up question.

" Correct sir "

" I have some hot question to drop on you but let me start with a simple one " Detective Wan directly let known his intention in a calm and steady manner.

" Melur, these thought keeps running through my mind, your full name is Melur Binti Abdullah right? " He blinked repeatedly waiting for the affirmation.

" Yes...? " She replied with uneasiness.

" Is your father still alive and kicking? " Detective Wan inquired nonchalantly while maintaining eye contact with Melur.

Melur gulped anxiously, gripping her white skirt even tighter. " Ouhhh... honestly, my father died when I was a baby " she clarified.

" From my knowledge, people used Abdullah as family name when the father didn't present on the day of the birth registration " Detective Wan try to coated the question as the words illegitimate is too harsh for a young girl like her.

Her nervous eyes was visible as it moved frantically as she pondered on what to respond, " I don't know what you're talking about sir but no "

" I have a father and he passed away when I was small " She tried to deny the question but the slight change in her countenance gave the Detective an indication.

" Really!? " He let out a contemptuous chuckle as he counter the answer, " Can I know the full name of your father then? "

" Abdullah Bin Razali " " Why you so persistent detective? " As her grasp on her left arm tightened, a sliver of displeasure flashed through her tone.

" You're a pretty good liar Melur " Detective Wan stated with a dry chuckle.

" What you're trying to imply now? " Melur tossed a disdainful glare at the recalcitrant detective.

Detective Wan leaned forward, resting his elbows on his knees as he whispered to Melur " It's okay, I know your secret " He then moves his face closer to Melur and chuckled, " Now I can finally see the little bit resemblance of Datuk Arman when you scowled like that "

" Don't worry, Melur, only I know that, and yes, your friend is still in the dark about this revelation, but I've no plans to inform them anyway."

Stunned and flummoxed, Melur never thought the secret she'd kept hidden since she was a child to be unveiled now. " No one... should... know... " As she was on the edge of crying, her voice cracked in practically every word she said. Melur finally wailed since the secret was revealed, and the pressure of holding the secret was lifted, resulting in an outburst of emotion.

" Danielle, take five " He raised his hand, signed Danielle in the monitor room to close all the recordings to provide time allowing the young woman to calm herself down.

After five minutes of crying and bawling alone during the break, Melur seems to be able to grab her composure back. Detective Wan entered the room looking apologetically.