Chapter 7: Is and are

'" zzz " '" Zzzz " '" Zzzz "

Putera's pocket vibrates vigorously, signalling that his private time is fast coming to an end. He lets out a loud sigh as he leans against the pillow, his gaze fixed on the steel ceiling. Time appears to move slowly here, and he still can't believe he's been on the train for several hours.

[ Put, please join us later if you're my friend ]

Jafri's voice were still ringing in his ears, reminding him to join them in his bunker for the hundredth time.

At 10:30 p.m., the group decided to get together. The time is now ten o'clock. Before meeting with the others, he went out of his room for a bit to relieve himself in the bathroom. He has a habit of going to the bathroom every time he wakes up from a nap. Due to the toilet in their compartment were not vacant, Putera strides inside the cafeteria to go to another toilet in another compartment.

He peeks at the snack and drink-vending machine as he exits the restroom. He figures to himself that if he offers them some snacks and canned beverages, he might earn a friendship bonus point.

" My money... " He murmured to himself as he collected all of the snacks and six beverages from the vending machine and placed them in a plastic bag that was provided next to it.

Putera walked back into the cafeteria on his way to Adam's bunker when he noticed a familiar back view of a man seated on one of the cafeteria seats, staring dearly at a photograph. He recognised after a few seconds that the man was the worker who had gotten into trouble with Sarah.

" You have a sweet little family there, sir." He tries to engage the man in conversation.

" I'm sorry, do you want to place an order? " The man rose and promptly reached his order pad.

" No, No, No, " He respectfully answered, "I have something to tell you." " May I? " he courteously pointed his hand to the unoccupied seat in front of the man.

" Yes, please "The man smiled as he nodded.

" Can I ask what's wrong? " his expression changed quickly.

" Nothing serious sir, actually I'm the friend of the woman who scold you this evening and I want to apologised on her behalf " " I was there in the corner " He offered the coffee that he initially bought for himself looking apologetically to that man.

" It's fine, it was my fault " he politely refused the offer.

" Please sir, at least take this coffee " he tried persuaded him.

" Okay then " The man laughed lightly.

"Nescafe mocha, interesting," he said as soon as he examined the can.

" Why sir, did you not consume caffeine " he was puzzled by the reaction.

" No, it just you gave me the same flavor as the girl who defended me last evening "

" Which girl-- " " Ouh Jasmine... " He murmured slowly.

" Yes, she returned later tonight around 9 p.m. to apologies yet again and to give me the coffee and pain relief patch since she said she noticed me continue to massage my back in a painful manner." " That sweet women was really thoughtful " that man just be all smiles talking about Jasmine.

" Yes, she's so sweet... " Putera grin from ear to ear without he even realized. He never expected that her personality be on par to her beauty.

As he witnessed Putera's reaction, that man couldn't stop giggling. They continued bringing up the topic of the man's family. It turns out that he has been living in Malaysia for the past five years, claiming that he would rather give money to her family than purchase a ticket back to Nepal. The bittersweet part is that he can see how the man's face brightens every time he speaks about his daughter, but he can also see how much he misses her. Putera treated with respect his passion and selflessness, as well as his desire to provide for his family.

The man expressed his gratitude to Putera because he was able to bottom out all his stories and feeling to someone and patched the little void of loneliness inside him.

" Chim " " Chim " he received a message from Jafri:

[ Where are you? Your bunker was empty come join us at my room now! ]

" Sir, I need to go now, it's been fun listening to your story "

" Thank you for your service, You're such an amazing person sir " that sentence made the man's eyes welling up with tears, as he had not expected such sincerely gratitude from Putera.

" Okay...you're welcome " He stuttered with a quavering voice

Putera stood up from his seat and wave his hand as a sign of goodbye before leaving the cafeteria.

He learnt from this experience, perhaps we should reach a consensus that the concept of empathy is meaningless, as it is impossible to put ourselves in the shoes of others. Instead of attempting, we should give up and learn to listen to one another more. Put our previous notions about way we perceive each other aside and simply listen to what each of us has to say. Definitively, lending someone your ear is more valuable than professing to be able to empathise with other's life.