A Queen

The Mikaelson Ball. 

I walk down from the attic several minutes before the guests begin to arrive. I have on a black cloak that covers me from head to toe. I watch from the shadows of the room as several of Mystic Falls's most important citizens enter through the double doors.

First is Mayor Lockwood, then Sheriff Forbes. Following these two women are the members of the Town Council. And then, of course, the esteemed supernatural guests. 

Stefan and Damon Salvatore enter the mansion. Damon's eyes immediately fixate on Carol Lockwood and Finn, who are in the middle of a deep and probably not so meaningful conversation.

"Hello, Carol," Damon says, once Finn leaves. "Hanging out with your new besties?"

"I'm the mayor, Damon," Carol begins. "When the oldest, deadliest, family of vampires moves into your town, you welcome them with a smile," she says.

"Well at least you know who you're borrowing that cup of sugar from," Damon says sarcastically. 

"I'm trying to protect this town. They've assured me they want peace, and I've assured them that I'd enforce it," Carol says.

I watch as Kol walks over and kisses Carol's hand as he greets her. "Mayor Lockwood. We haven't formally met. Kol Mikaelson," Kol says, with an exaggerated bow. "I hope your lovely town embraces us just as much as we plan to embrace it."

At these words, Damon shoves Carol aside and offers his own hand. 

"Damon Salvatore. Have we met?" Damon says.

 Kol stares at Damon with an amused look on his face. Ignoring Damon's outstretched hand, Kol tilts his head slightly to the side. "I've met a lot of people. And you don't particularly stand out," Kol says.

Kol walks away, and not a moment later, the double doors open up to let in Elena Gilbert, dressed in a black and gold gown touched up with a shower of glitter. 

"Excuse me, Carol," Damon mumbles as he walks up to greet Elena. From the other side of the room, I see Stefan rushing forward to do the same.

"What are you doing here?" I hear Elena say. 

"I could ask you the same thing," Stefan says. 

"Surprise, surprise," Damon says to Elena sarcastically. "Nice tux. You're not supposed to be here."

"Well, I am. And I'm not leaving until I find out what Esther wants," Elena says. 

"So, shall we?" Stefan offers Elena his arm and she wraps hers in it. 

She looks at Damon, who follows in Stefan's example. The grand music rises as both Salvatores escort her into the party.

The doors open up yet again, and this time, when it does, I find myself digging my nails into the palm of my hand furiously. 

"Good evening," Klaus says to Caroline, who's wearing my precious golden blue gown. 

"I need a drink," Caroline states, as she heads towards the bar.

I lift my hand up to tuck excess locks of my hair back into the dark hood of my cloak, but my motion catches Klaus's eye. He stares at me, smirks, then joins Caroline at the far end of the room.

"I'm glad you came," Klaus says. 

"Well, it was either caviar or sympathy casseroles," Caroline grumbles. 

"I heard about your father's death," Klaus says. 

"Don't. Seriously," Caroline snaps. 

Klaus raises an eyebrow.