Over at Last

Knowing that Elijah is being driven by the will to avenge his dead family, I step aside and head towards Elena instead. I arrive at the doppelganger's dead body just as Damon does. We both stare at each other- him, with a wild look in his bright blue eyes, and me, my hair ragged and my mouth covered in blood. I see his eyes widen in surprise as he recognizes me, the girl whom 'Alaric', or as he probably knows now, Klaus, introduced as Isobel's colleague.

A strange moment passes between us, and we both realize at the same time that the other person wants nothing more than to help Elena, too. I pick Elena up. Damon grabs my wrist. He leads me out of the Quarry with incredible speed. He has a destination in mind, and right now, the only thing I can do is follow him.

We arrive at the mouth of a cave, where the real Alaric, a teenage boy, and a man I have never seen before sit inside. All three of them rise to their feet at once. Their eyes travel from Elena, to me, then back to Elena.

"Is she-" the teenage boy begins. Damon nods. "Klaus thinks she's dead," he replies.

I blink. "Thinks she's dead? What do you mean, 'thinks' she's dead?" I ask. My vampire hearing works ferociously to try and pick up a heartbeat coming out of Elena's chest. But I can't hear anything, for her heart has stopped. Elena is dead, but then why-

"Tell her I'm sorry," the man says with a pained smile. "And tell her I love her," he says.

I have no idea what's going on, or who these people even are, but- I lift my head up as I suddenly hear an angered shout. Stefan. He's shouting something- But what? What is he shouting? I'm too far away to be able to make it out...

One long minute passes by. And then suddenly, Stefan arrives, with an unconscious Bonnie in his arms. "Did it work? Is Klaus dead?" Damon asks him. I stare at the cold expression on Stefan's face. "No," he spits.

"What? Why not? The might of a hundred witches-" Alaric begins, before he is cut off by Stefan, who says in an empty voice, "Elijah betrayed us. He disappeared with Klaus."

A wave of shock settles down on all of us, but on me the most.

"No," I say, running a hand through my hair. "No, no- Elijah wouldn't do that, Klaus killed his siblings, Elijah would never willingly let-" "But he didn't," Stefan says, not even questioning my presence.

"What?" I say, my heart skipping a beat. "That's why Elijah let Klaus go. Klaus never killed his siblings, he just wanted Elijah to think that... And now he's convinced Elijah that he won't ever be able to be reunited with his siblings if he kills him," Stefan says.

I slowly sink down to my knees. "Well... At least Elena's safe, right?" Damon says halfheartedly, knowing very well that the second Klaus hears the slightest rumour of Elena having survived, he'll come straight back to kill her.

The sun slowly rises into the sky. Bonnie is the first to awake out of the unconscious ones. She takes in a huge gasp as her energy slowly returns to her. A couple minutes later, Elena wakes up- just as the man, whom I learned is Elena's biological father, collapses onto the ground. My vampire hearing zooms in on his heartbeat, and I don't respond in any way as I hear his chest give out one final thump.

Now that everyone is okay- more or less, heads turn towards me. "Who are you?" Damon asks. I look up at him, then stare at Stefan. "I am... A lot of things," I sigh.

They all stare at me curiously.

"For now, all you need to know is... It's because of me that Elena was ever able to be born," I say, staring at the young brunette. It's clear no one has any idea what I'm talking about.

"Stefan, does the name 'Marie Flemming' ring a bell to you?" I say, turning my head towards him. Stefan frowns. "I- yeah," he says. "I think- I think I may have heard an old friend of mine mention that name once or twice," he replies. I nod. "Lexi Branson," I say softly. Both Salvatore brothers raise their eyebrows in surprise.

I slowly stand up. "I'm Katherine Pierce's great granddaughter. I'm the reason Elijah was so hell bent on killing Klaus in the first place. Out of everyone in the history of the world, there is no one who knows the Mikaelsons better than I. I am Helena Gold... And I used to be a Queen," I say. Then I laugh. Crazy, maniacal laughter that sounds terrifyingly familiar to Kol's.

"And now that Katherine's disappeared, I'm number one on the Mikaelson brothers' target list," I say. Then it all comes barreling down- the stress of four centuries slams me across the face and I collapse onto the ground. 

Let me know what you think of the story so far in the comments :)