The Doppelganger

Present Day 

I walk back into the bar, trying to force what Katherine said to me out of my head. Klaus isn't in love with me.

"You left us," Rebekah points out. "Yeah, sorry. Retail therapy was making my head explode," I say sarcastically. "Tell me about it," Klaus says with a smile.

"What's she doing?" I ask, glancing over at Gloria, who's standing over a bunch of magical... Things.

"She's failing," Klaus replies. Gloria scowls. "It's hard to find something when you don't have anything to go on," she snaps. I raise my eyebrows. There are very few people in the world who can take that tone with Klaus and live, but one glance at Klaus tells me he's simply amused.

"So use me. I only wore it for a thousand years," Rebekah says, stepping forward. "See?" Gloria says, nodding at Klaus, "Now this one offers a solution."

Rebekah sits in front of Gloria. "All right, give me your hand, sweetheart," Gloria says. Rebekah complies, and Gloria closes her eyes. "She's looking for the necklace, then?" I say, sitting down next to Klaus. Stefan and I stare at each other, then quickly look away.

"I can sense something," Gloria says. I run a hand through my hair nervously.

"Anta Cotis Syrum, Anta Cotis Syrum," Gloria chants, causing a slight wind to fly throughout the bar.

Several nerve wrecking seconds pass by, and then... "I found it," Gloria says, opening her eyes.

"So where is it?" Rebekah demands. "It doesn't work like that, doll. I get images. There's a girl with her friends..." Gloria shakes her head.

"Yes, a dead girl with dead friends, if I don't get my necklace back," Rebekah snaps. "Well, I'll have to dive back in to get the details," Gloria replies.

"So dive," Klaus says. "I need more time," Gloria insists.

Klaus stands up and walks over to Gloria. "And space," Gloria says, glancing at him. "You're harshing my ju-ju," she says. 

"We can wait," Klaus says. Gloria sighs. "I'm sure you can. But that's not what I asked," she says, turning around and facing him. It looks like some kind of fight is about to start, but before it can, Stefan interrupts the two of them.

"Hey. Hey, you know, why don't we just come back later. I'm hungry anyway," Stefan says. I raise an eyebrow. There's a definite change in him. I know he's just trying to prevent a fight, but there's a slight eagerness in his voice that catches me off guard. 

"I'll let you pick who we eat," Stefan says.

Stefan walks out of the bar, and Klaus shares a look with Rebekah and me. I shrug, and follow Stefan outside.

********************************************************************************

"My girl's dead. I'm bored," Rebekah complains. Ignoring her, Klaus glances at Stefan, whose face is rippling with black veins as he digs his fangs into the human girl.

"You weren't kidding about being hungry," Klaus remarks. Stefan nods. "Yeah. It's been a long day," he replies. "Try being related to her," Klaus says, jutting his head at Rebekah, causing Stefan to laugh. Rebekah throws her hands up in the air in exasperation.

"You're being mean. And why are you being mean? You used to love me," Rebekah says, turning her attention to Stefan.

"It's been ninety years, Rebekah. Give him a minute," I say to her, rolling my eyes. 

"Exactly," Klaus says. Rebekah lets out an enraged yell. "Why are you both taking his side?" she shouts. 

"Because, my dear sister, I feel pity for any man who doesn't give you what you want," Klaus explains slowly, as if talking to a three year old.

Will you stop making me out to be a brat? I am not a brat!" Rebekah screams. "Four hundred years of life experience says otherwise," I mumble, while Klaus laughs.

"Well, you're no picnic, either. I mean, I've only spent one summer with you and I feel like I want to blow my head off," Stefan says to Klaus. Now it's Rebekah who's laughing.

"Enough of this nonsense. Helena, why aren't you eating someone? Aren't rich preppy girls your favorite?" Klaus says to me. I shrug. "I'm not in the mood," I reply. Klaus raises his eyebrows, but doesn't say anything.

"I need to go," Stefan says, suddenly standing up as his girl drops dead onto the ground. He walks away, and Rebekah turns to me.

"Where's he going?" she demands. "To write a name on a wall," I reply. "It's a long story," I add, when Rebekah looks confused.

I glance at the door Stefan left through. I very much doubt he's going back to his old apartment- no, he's going somewhere else. 

"I'm leaving, too," I announce. "Leaving? Leaving where?" Rebekah says sharply. "To get a drink that doesn't stain my lips red every time I drink it," I answer, rolling my eyes. "Where's the nearest Starbucks?" I say, grabbing Klaus's wallet and pulling out a hundred dollars.

Klaus just stares at me, so I ignore him. "Meet you back here," I tell them as I leave.

I reach the front door of Gloria's bar. I'm about to walk in, when I think better of it. Instead, I head for the back door, and creep inside silently. I hear a conversation between Gloria and Stefan.

"I'm impressed. You've got discipline, Stefan. It's not going to do you much good, but... Just let go, honey," Gloria says. 

I hear footsteps. I walk into the bar, and see Stefan tied up on the table. Gloria's hands are on his chest, and he's screaming- vervain.

"There you go, there you go," Gloria says in a soothing voice. She gasps as a magical vision enters her mind.

"There's the girl with the necklace. You love her. You'd do anything for her. And you have. A lot of darkness, a lot of guilt. All to keep her away from Klaus. Why would he be interested in one girl?" Gloria wonders out loud.

"Don't do this. Don't do this," Stefan says through his shouts of pain.

Gloria stumbles backward as the vision ends. "She's the doppelganger. She's supposed to be dead, and that's why Klaus can't make hybrids, isn't it?" Gloria laughs.

"This is creepy," Katherine says, suddenly appearing out of nowhere. 

I sink back into the shadows so that neither Katherine nor Stefan can see me. 

Gloria turns around, but before she can do anything, Katherine stabs her with a stake in the neck.