Chapter 25: "Her? Pfft. Please, Gimme a Break."

Slovak's House, NC
7:00 May 27th, 2023

I woke up to my phone ringing on my nightstand. I picked it up, and was shocked to see who it was. Kaden. I picked it up, answered it, and put it up to my hear. "What's up brother?" I asked in a raspy voice. "Hey colonel, Ryan and I know about your neighbor, seems like she moved out quickly once she met that guy." He said, I agreed. She did move out quickly. "And? That all?" I said. Kaden quickly replied, "Well, since you're the only one in the Ghosts without a relationship... We went out hunting for you. Ryan and I think we found the perfect girl for you. You may not like her, but we want you to give her a shot." Kaden explained, I was shocked, and flattered. I would've never thought my team looked out for me that good. "Who is she?" I asked, still waking up. "A rancher from Missouri, originally from Kansas. Has an accent like yours. She's visiting New Jersey for her family." He explained, "Oh, and she has a thing for army spec ops." I could almost see Kaden winking behind that phone. Kaden and Ryan both had girlfriends. With plans to marry. I knew both of their girls equally well, and they sometimes come over and bring me chicken pot pie, or banana bread. Depending on who comes over. Ryan found love in Jane, our Blackhawk pilot. She was injured flying over Qatar. She resigned, and Ryan started dating her. They were very happy together. Kaden dates a cute redhead named Samantha. She was perfect for him to say nonetheless. Meanwhile, I was kinda a loner. I lived by myself, with dreams of becoming a history professor or a sheriff of a small town. Having a relationship was in the back of my mind, due to my line of work. But now, I guess it was in the front.
"So does she wanna meet or somethin'?" I asked, Kaden quickly responded. " Yeah, one PM at a cracker barrel, and I yes, there is a cracker barrel. It's that building on the dirt road in the middle of nowhere. Ya' know, the one off of highway 43?" He explained, I knew what he was talking about, so I didn't need anything else. "Alright. I gotcha man. So, what should I wear?" I asked, since he and Ryan had set up the blind date. "ACUs. Preferably. It would help." He said, "Alright, thanks man. See ya'." I responded. "No problem sir, see ya' there." I then ended the call. "Might as well go ahead and get to Bragg." I said to myself as I got out of bed. I then put made myself some breakfast, put on my ACUs, grabbed my duffel, and got into my truck. I then turned it on, and drove to Fort Bragg.

As I was driving to Bragg, I thought hard about Kaden and Ryan. I never really knew that they watched out for me that good. Well... I guess I do watch out for them like they're my brothers. After Amanda betrayed us, I've been making sure we keep together, and keep everybody not in GR in suspicion. Anyway, Ryan and Kaden setting up a blind date for me meant a lot. I can't even begin to describe how thankful I am for those two suckers. They've had my back ever since I joined the Berets. They were my team, and my brothers. I was glad to have them on my side.

I got to Bragg in a mere twenty minutes, and once I got there I went to Townes's office. I knocked on the door, "Come in." I then opened it. "Ah, Slovak. Nice to see you, have a seat. We have much to talk about." Townes said, spinning around in his chair behind his desk. He had a coffee in his hand, and he looked tired. Probably from worrying about Egypt and Sudan.
I took a seat. "Mornin' sir." I said, "Morning... You know Slovak, you have a strong country accent. You may not notice it, but everyone in Bragg does. Don't take offense to that though, because ladies love the accent. Ladies always like the country boys. Anyway, so, with Jack now out of play, the Confederation's forces are in near-dissaray. Since there is no one to transfer the Boss's orders down to the commanders. So, the commanders have no idea what to do, and each have started to do their own thing. Due to this, we've pushed back most of their forces. We have yet to locate the boss-man. But we know he is in Germany. Once we locate him though, we'll send you, and end this once and for all. But for now, we have another mission for you that we want you to do." Townes explained, forcing a happy look on his tired face. "Well sir, can I do this within the next few days? Because I kinda got a date setup for today." I asked, talking about my date with the ranch girl. "Yeah, this guy we're targeting isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Guys name is Franco Willis. That's not important. What is important is that he's a watchgate warlord that is hampering an African joint strike force's efforts to take back an area in the Congo. His house is located in the jungle, in the Congo. Easy to find. Easy to kill. You can handle it. All intel will be sent to you VIA tablet briefer. Any questions? Good." I looked around his room at the various medal cases and decorations.Townes was a positive person, he had motivating posters on the wall, mostly army ones though. Anyway, after droning I looked back at him. He asked me a question, "Hey, Slovak. Hope ya' don't mind me asking, but how is your love life? Are you doing fine without Addison? I know it's painful to think about. I just like to check up on my men." I got a pained look on my face, but I quickly reverted it back to normal. "I'm doing fine, she's still with me though. I could never get rid of her anyway... But like I said, I have a date later today. It's a blind one. All I know is that the woman is a rancher." I said, Townes then lightened up. "That's good. Well I'll send ya' off. Good luck with your date." I then stood up, saluted, and walked out the room.
I took a stroll around Bragg, admiring the coastal base. Bragg was set on a plateau over looking the ocean. It was beautiful, but was also the home of the Army's spec ops.
I walked around until it was 12:30, I then got in my truck, and left Bragg. I made my way to the restaurant where my date was going to be at.