The location that popped up was strange. It was near the warehouse they currently called home, seemingly in the middle of the harbor.

Jason's heart clenched with worry. If anything had happened to Dick he... he didn't know what he'd do.

But that was a thought for later. Right now all he could do was hope for the best and grab his guns, because whoever had taken Dick would have the world to pay.

The thundering stomps of Jason's boots on the deck of the ship echoed, seeming to come from everywhere and nowhere at the same time.

Dick was limply hanging from a rope far above the ship's deck, still out cold from the drugs he'd been given earlier.

Gunshots rang out and one by one the hired guns fell, their blood flowing from the holes made by Jason's bullets.

Jason walked out of the shadows, gripping his gun tightly in one hand as he approached the paper cut of a man who'd dared to take his husband. "Impressive catch," he said to the man.

"You need good bait when you're fishing for a bat... but you're not Batman," the man said, leaning against the ship's railing, seemingly unbothered by the sheer number of dead men surrounding him.

"Guess it's not your lucky day," Jason growled, continuing to walk forward.

"Guess not," the man said. "Oh well, guess I better let my bait go then."

That was the moment when Jason noticed the remote in the man's hand, but it was too late... he'd already pressed the button.

A crack drew Jason's attention and his head whipped around to see Dick splayed out on the ground at an awkward angle, his hands still bound, and one leg at an unnatural angle even for his very flexible husband.

Jason fired off two shots without so much as a thought, the bullets shattering both of the man's kneecaps.

A second later Jason was at Dick's side, cutting the rope off of his wrists and pulling him into his lap.

There was a trail of blood dripping down Dick's face, and one of his pant legs was soaked in the deep red liquid, but he was still breathing. And that was all that really mattered.

"How dare you," Jason growled, turning back to look at the slimy little son of a monkey wrench who was trying to raise himself up with his hands.

Jason rose to his feet, wrapping one of Dick's arms around his shoulders and holding him upright with an arm around his waist. "Listen up you little maggot," he snarled with the most intense glare he could muster. "I'm going to let you live for one reason and one reason only. You're going to wake up in the hospital tomorrow. I know where I shot you, and I know that those legs are as good as gone. So when you're discharged I want you to roll your wheelchair back to whatever slime you associate with, and I want you to spread the word... This one right here... he's mine."

The man nodded frantically, looking like he was about to soil his pants right then and there if he hadn't already.

"Good," Jason said, scooping Dick up into his arms before turning and walking away.

"Ugh," Dick groaned as he came to. He looked around for a moment, his eyes finally locking with Jason's worried ones.

"Thank heavens," Jason said, leaning down to kiss Dick's forehead, leaving his lips there for a few moments, his warm breaths fanning Dick's skin.

"What happened?" Dick asked.

Jason straightened, bringing a callused hand up to cup Dick's cheek, rubbing his thumb over his husband's cheek. "Some filthy sewer rat with a vendetta against Batman decided to try and take you from me," he said, leaning down to brush his lips against his husband's.

"You didn't kill him did you?" Dick mumbled.

"I didn't kill him... shot him a few times though... and killed all his little henchmen," Jason said, leaning down again to steal a deeper kiss.

"I thought we agreed on no more killing," Dick said, breaking apart from the kiss.

Jason's hand that had been resting on Dick's hip tightened slightly. "All bets were off the moment he laid a hand on you."

Dick sighed, a small smile slipping onto his face. "Once a mob boss always a mob boss," he said.

"Hey," Jason mumbled. "I'll have you know that I very much still am a mob boss... and you being married to me makes you my mob wife."

Dick snorted, inhaling sharply when pain shot up his leg at his slight movement. "Please don't call me your mob wife ever again," he said after a moment.

Jason huffed. "You're no fun."

"I'll have you know that I'm plenty of fun. I just don't want to be part of your criminal activities," Dick argued.

"Same thing," Jason said with a smirk, brushing kisses over Dick's jawline.

"Whatever mob husband..." Dick said, trailing off when Jason kissed him again.