I'll fight for you

Bruce stirred when he heard soft footsteps pad past his door. He was immediately curious as to who was in the manor.

Alfred had gone to bed hours before, Damian was with the Titans, Tim was with the young justice, and Jason and Dick were off doing whatever they usually did in Blüdhaven. None of them had expressed any intention of returning to the manor, meaning this was an unplanned visitor.

Bruce silently made his way to his door and gently pushed it open. That was when he noticed a faint light shining from beneath the door to Dick's room. That was a surprise. Dick never came to the manor unless expressly invited, and even then he only came 1 or 2 times a year.

The sound of soft sobs drifted from Dick's room, and Bruce immediately began to worry. He walked quietly across the hall, knocking lightly on the door.

There was a sharp intake of breath from the other side of the door, and the door opened a fraction a few seconds later.

"You ok in there Dickie?" Bruce asked softly.

"Y-ya," Dick said with a sniffle. "I... I'm sorry... I should've asked if I could come... I just... I just thought nobody would be here."

"You don't have to ask permission to come stay at the manor Dick," Bruce said quietly.

"Th-thanks Bruce," Dick replied.

"Can I come in?" Bruce asked.

Dick paused for a moment. "Y-ya," he finally said, pushing the door open slightly.

Bruce walked in, his breath catching when he saw how thin Dick had gotten, the black bags under his eldest's eyes standing in stark contrast to the paleness of his usually golden skin.

"What's wrong?" Bruce asked gently.

"I... I... I'd rather not..." Dick trailed off.

"Isn't Jason going to be worried about where you are?" Bruce asked instead.

Dick's breath caught and another sob ripped itself free from his throat. "We're not together anymore," he whispered.

Bruce held his arms out, an open invitation for a hug which Dick readily fell into, burying his face in his father figure's chest.

Dick shook with quiet sobs, grabbing fistfuls of Bruce's shirt and holding on tightly. "It hurts," he cried softly.

Bruce was reminded of when Dick had first came to the manor, the tiny acrobat that would come to him for comfort and hugs.

"Hey," Bruce whispered. "It'll be alright."

"N-no," Dick mumbled. "I... I told him I was done... b-because..." Dick took in a shuddering breath. "I'm dying."

Bruce's arms tightened around his son. "What?" He breathed.

"I'm sick... the... the doctors... they said I only have a few more months to live. I... I thought it would be easier for Jay... if... if he hated me," Dick said quietly.

"Dickie...pushing people away isn't the answer," Bruce said, rubbing circles on Dick's back, sadness creasing his features when he could feel each one of Dick's ribs and the ridges of his spine.

Dick heaved an uneven breath.

"We'll find a way to fix you bud," Bruce reassured. "But for now I think there's someone who deserves an explanation."

Dick sniffled, turning his head to see that Jason was standing by his room's window.

"I'll let you two talk," Bruce said, exiting the room.

Jason walked forward and wrapped Dick in a tight hug. "Why didn't you tell me?" he mumbled into the elder's shoulder.

Dick closed his eyes. "I thought it would be easier," he whispered.

"Loosing you will never be easy Dickie... I know some day we'll inevitably be separated by death... but until then I want you to be with me." Jason released Dick from his tight hug and grabbed his left hand in his own. "Having you in my life has been the best thing to ever happen to me," he said. "I can't bare to loose you now... so," Jason said, sinking down to one knee and pulling out a small black box. "Richard John Grayson... will you marry me?"

Dick was speechless as he stared at the simple gold band in the ring box in Jason's hand. He looked into Jason's eyes and nodded slowly. "Yes," he nearly sobbed, this time from joy.

Jason smiled widely, gently sliding the ring onto Dick's finger before standing and drawing him into his arms. "I'm with you til the end," he mumbled, pressing his face into Dick's soft curls.

Dick held tightly to Jason like he had to Bruce. "I love you Jason... and... and I don't know if I can beat this disease... whatever it is, but I'll fight my hardest... for you."

Jason kissed the top of Dick's head. "I love you too Dickie," he said, tilting Dick's head up towards him with a finger before placing a sweet kiss on his lips.