Scars

Ever since Dick and Jason had stared dating the older had taken to wearing baggy hoodies and sweatpants.

At first Jason thought it might be because he was simply cold, but after an adjustment to the thermostat as well as the addition of several blankets to the bed, he was convinced that this was something else entirely...

"Ugh," Dick groaned, shifting uncomfortably next to Jason on their bed. "I'm so hot," he mumbled.

"Just take off your sweatshirt," Jason replied.

"I... I don't want to," Dick replied.

Jason sighed, dragging himself into a sitting position and flicking on his bedside lamp. "Alright," he said. "What's going on?"

Dick tensed slightly. "N-nothing."

Jason rolled his eyes. "I'm not buying that crap Dick. Tell me what's wrong," he demanded.

Dick's gaze dropped down to his lap. "I... I just... It's my scars..." he mumbled softly.

Jason's gaze softened and he grabbed Dick's hand. He lightly traced a scar that ran across the top of his hand before placing a light kiss on it. "You don't have to be ashamed or embarrassed of your scars," he said, gesturing to his own exposed chest that was covered with scars of various shapes and sizes. "This one, he began, poking at one that ran from his belly button around to his back, this was from a kid on the streets when I was a kid. His name was Darrel. I had managed to gather enough spare change to buy a can of soup, and I'd just finished heating it up when he jumped me. He got me pretty good with his knife, but I managed to fend him off."

"Seems like a lot for just a can of soup," Dick said with a sniffle.

"Hey, it was good soup," Jason said jokingly. "Your turn," he said after a few moments.

Dick sat there for a moment before pulling off his sweatshirt. He pointed to a letter J that had been carved into his right shoulder. "Joker," he said, looking back up at Jason.

Jason leaned forward and placed a kiss over the scar. "I love every inch of you Dickie. I hope you know that," he said, pulling the elder into his arms.

Dick let himself relax in Jason's hold, his head falling back to rest against Jason's chest.

Jason wrapped his arms loosely around Dick's waist, bringing up one of his hands to lightly trace the crisscrossing scars on Dick's chest. "You're perfect just the way you are Bluebird. Scars and all," he said.

Dick cuddled closer to Jason. "Thanks Jay. I needed that," he replied tiredly, letting his eyes drift closed and carry him off to sleep.