Live every day like it's your last

Dick winced as he shifted, his eyesight swirling.

'This isn't the most comfortable place to die,' he thought to himself as he let his head fall back limply to rest on the roof's edge.

The next breath Dick took was particularly painful, and he winced, wishing someone was there to comfort him in his last moments as he bled out on a random roof.

The sun was starting to rise, painting the sky with breathtakingly beautiful colors, and Dick couldn't help but stare.

He had a feeling that day might be his last, but that's ok because the dawn had never looked more beautiful...

Jason's breath caught in his throat and he stumbled when he finally found his husband.

Dick was laying in a puddle of his own blood, his eyes staring into the distance, glassy and unseeing, his mask laying a few feet away.

Jason let out a choked sob as he fell to his knees at Dick's side. He knew it was probably too late... he knew Dick was already gone, but that didn't stop him from pleading for him to wake up.

Tears flowed freely down Jason's cheeks as he gently closed Dick's eyes, wrapping his arms tightly around himself and rocking back and forth, hoping for some sort of comfort.

Quiet footfalls alerted Jason to the presence of Bruce and his brothers, but he couldn't bring himself to even look up at them. He heard Tim's gasp and Damian's quiet sob as he turned to hide himself away in his father's cape.

Jason shot bolt upright, nearly falling off the couch. He shoved the blanket off of him and leapt up, running to the bedroom and nearly throwing the door open.

There he was, Dick Grayson, curled up in their bed.

Jason immediately sobbed in relief, rushing forward and pulling the groggy acrobat into a hug. "You're alive," he mumbled, clutching Dick tightly to his chest.

"Mmmm... what's wrong?" Dick mumbled, leaning into Jason's embrace.

Jason simply hugged Dick tighter, burying his face in his husband's dark tangled curls.

Dick muttered a quiet 'oh,' when he realized that Jason must've had another nightmare about his brush with death that had happened nearly a month ago. His heart had stopped, but Bruce had been able to resuscitate him mere minutes later.

Jason continued to cry as Dick wrapped him in his arms, rubbing circles on his back and whispering reassurances.

Dick eventually pulled Jason down onto the bed with him, and they simply held each other until Jason's breath evened out. He regretted letting Jason fall asleep on the couch earlier, but there wasn't really anything he could do about it now except be there.

Jason pressed a kiss to Dick's jaw, taking a ragged breath and whispering a quiet "I love you," something he'd made a point of saying ever since the moment he'd thought he'd never get the chance to say it again.

Dick smiled, his eyes drifting closed as Jason kissed along his jawline.

Jason shifted slightly, his fingers falling to brush over the faint bump of a scar that marked the spot Dick had been stabbed. He traced the scar with feather light touches, bringing his hand up to tangle in Dick's hair when he started pressing kisses to his lips.

Dick kissed back, bringing his own hands up to cup Jason's face. He broke from the kiss for just a moment. "I love you Jay... I love you and I'm here. I'm not going to leave," he said, pressing another kiss to Jason's lips.

Jason pulled Dick to his chest. "Promise?" He asked, his tired voice sounding vulnerable and so so scared.

"Promise," Dick mumbled as they both drifted off, feeling safe in each other's arms.