TWENTY-TWO (Iselen POV)

Start from the beginning

"Women that were favoured with the support of Mother Nature..." I whisper watching Ruby who's trying to bring order to our chaotic luggage helped by Lester while Louisa gives instructions cradling her baby. There're suitcases, backpacks and bags along with Diana's stroller and the drivers have taken them out of the trunks mixing them up on the ground before leaving.

"Yes, and they were really smart too... They went to school and university whenever they could, they made good marriages, were successful in their jobs... Actually, they worked hard and that's the only secret, perseverance and saving money instead of spending it on superfluous things... This is how you manage to buy a plantation. And my grandmother keeps working hard... it's not easy to keep this house and gardens in perfect condition."

"I bet... oh wow..." I whisper shocked, looking around in disbelief.

"It didn't look like this when she bought it, it's true..." Savannah chuckles. "I spent most of my childhood playing in empty living rooms while workers fixed the electrical installation and pipes, installed hardwood floors and painted walls. Some of the furniture was here but we bought most of them in antique shops of this area... Coffered ceilings and chandeliers are original..."

"It's gorgeous," I whisper touching the wooden railing of the staircase reverently. "I was going to say that it feels we're in the Gone with the Wind movie but I don't know if it's a proper comparison and besides, it's a cliché..."

"It's okay, Iselen. Actually, that was the plan: return it to its former glory... My grandma always says that it doesn't matter how terrible the things that happened here were, it was people's fault, they did all those bad things, not the house... The building deserves to be cared for and cherished."

"A wise woman..."

"Well, thank you, dear. I'm happy we agree on this." I turn around to greet the lady behind me, an exact copy of Savannah but with short curly hair instead of long, a little taller but with the same eyes with long lashes, the same dark caramel skin and the same mischievous smirk. The only difference is that this woman seems to like colourful clothes with floral patterns that match the watercolours she paints and that are hanging from the house walls. Annah is now a Manhattanite who loves Vinnia's clothes although her simpler designs highlight her curves wonderfully. "I'm Angelie, nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you too... Is she your grandma?" I ask shaking the beautiful woman's hand and my friend nods while the hunter in my mind stares at the newcomer with hostility. Luckily, he seems calmer lately since we collaborated together to find the stalker at the park the other day and I don't feel sick often now. Or maybe my druid is becoming stronger. "She looks like your older sister... Don't voodoo queens get old?"

"I like this girl a lot... Where's the baby? Oh Goddess, Louisa, she's precious..." Angelie takes Diana in her arms while her mother looks at them amused and the baby smiles happily, Ruby and Lester seem to have restored order in the luggage chaos with a little help from Aletta and Vinnia and Elvira is scratching the ears of a cute puppy that came to say hello from the garden. They all speak at the same time greeting our hostess, asking if they're going to sleep in their usual bedrooms and carrying their stuff upstairs while I watch them feeling a little overwhelmed by the noise.

"Babe, come on, take your suitcase and I'll take these bags. I'll show you our room..."

"Ruby Rose Langenheim..." Angelie's powerful voice echoes across the pretty entrance hall with glazed doors.

"Yes, madam." My girl straightens her back almost like she's standing at attention in front of a general and looks at her cautiously.

"The Goddess has picked out a good partner for you and you were smart accepting her will without complaining. Congratulations, dear. Dinner's served at 8 in the main dining room, don't be late."