The problem with adrenaline

Start from the beginning

The staircase seemed to stretch on forever as Dick made his way up one agonizing step at a time.

By the time he'd made it to the door that opened to the manor Dick was just about ready to call it quits and simply curl up on the floor.

Dick rested his forehead against the wall, squeezing his eyes shut. He just wanted Jason, but their room was so far away... almost impossibly far.

Deciding he needed something to take the edge off of his pain if he was going to make it the rest of the way upstairs, Dick headed to the kitchen.

On the way, Dick's body decided it could no longer handle the pain. Black spots swirled in his vision, and he leaned heavily against the wall, sliding down to a sitting position.

'I can't do this,' Dick thought to himself. 'I need help.' He bit his lip, squeezing his eyes tightly shut.

4:00 AM...

Dick grit his teeth, unlocking his phone and making his way to Jason's contact. He pressed the small phone icon and held the phone up to his ear, listening to it ring.

The phone was ringing for a while before Jason picked up. "Hello?" He asked groggily.

"Jay..." Dick said, his voice thick with tears.

"What's wrong Dickie?" Jason asked, immediately sitting up in bed and giving more attention to the phone call.

"Please... please help me," Dick sobbed.

Jason jumped out of bed. "What's wrong? Where are you?" He asked, running down the manor halls as quietly as he could.

Dick whimpered quietly. "B-by the kitchen," he said.

"I'll be right there Dickie," Jason said, ending the call as he ran down the stairs.

Jason followed the sound of Dick's quiet sobs to where he was leaning up against the wall near the kitchen.

"J-J-Jason," Dick cried quietly.

"Shh... it's alright Dickie. I'm here," Jason said, kneeling at Dick's side.

Dick toppled sideways, falling to lean heavily against Jason.

"What's wrong sweetheart?" Jason asked quietly, rubbing gentle circles on Dick's back.

Dick whimpered quietly. "My... my foot," he whispered.

Jason glanced towards Dick's feet. He couldn't see very well in the dark, but one of them definitely seemed swollen.

"Dickie," Jason breathed. "What happened?"

"I... I got thrown off a roof..." Dick mumbled.

Jason's brows furrowed. "How far into patrol was this?"

"It was at the beginning," Dick said, hanging his head.

"Dickie," Jason said with a sigh.

"I... I couldn't feel it until we were on the way back home," Dick said.

"And you didn't ask for help? You even decided that trying to make it upstairs on your own was a better idea than calling someone down for help?" Jason asked.

Dick's lip trembled. "I... I... I knew y-you and... and everyone else would make fun of me... and... and I hate that."

Jason's eyes softened. "Hey," he said quietly, waiting until Dick's tear-filled eyes were on him. "Nothing's wrong with asking for help... and if anyone says otherwise or even tries to make any remarks about this I'll smack 'em so hard their lips will fall off."

Dick sniffled, giving Jason a watery smile. "O... ok," he replied.

Jason stood, making his way to the kitchen.

"Jay!" Dick called, his panic clear in his voice. "Don't leave me!"

"I'm just grabbing an ice pack and some pain meds from the kitchen. I'll be right back," Jason reassured.

When Jason returned Dick was laying on the floor looking slightly dazed.

"I fell," Dick mumbled.

Jason shook his head, a small smile playing on his lips. "Take these Dickie," he said, helping Dick sit up before handing him two small pills and a cup of water.

Dick swallowed the pills and lifted his arms, silently asking Jason to pick him up.

Jason obliged, scooping Dick up into his arms and carrying him back to their bedroom.

Jason finished wrapping Dick's foot and set the ice pack next to it. "We'll ice it for 20 minutes and hopefully by then the pain meds will have kicked in," he said, laying down on Dick's other side.

Dick rested his head on Jason's shoulder, content to let his foot keep hurting as long as he was with Jason.

"Alfred will have to take a look at it in the morning. There's a possibility it's broken," Jason continued.

"Ok," Dick mumbled. He could tell that the pain meds were starting to kick in, and as his pain dulled he finally allowed himself to fall asleep.

Jason looked over at his boyfriend when he heard his soft snores. He chuckled quietly, placing a kiss on Dick's forehead. "Goodnight Dickie."