Chapter 41

EDITING
-Five years Later-

~Sage's Pov~

The vent is empty in front of me. Suspicious. Too suspicious. The last ten feet can't be this easy. I pull out my dusting powder in my pack and blow it in front of me. The dust reveals an unrealistic amount of lasers.

"Two minutes, Winters," a voice over the intercom announces.

I have two minutes to get through the lasers, drop down from the vent system, and recover the crown or Autumn has promised she will buy me a lap dance from her favorite stripper.

Clanks from someone crawling echo in the vent behind me. It's now or never. I propel my body forward. Luckily, the lasers just send off an alarm system, so they won't cut me to shreds as I slide through them.

I'm guessing lasers are rigged to activate a security system on the crown. If I'm fast enough grabbing the crown, setting the lasers off shouldn't be a problem.

I fall out of the vent next to the podium with the crown whose glass case is rising up around it. Next, it should be lowered down into the podium.

As the alarm continues to go off, three men run into the room. They're not super muscular or intimidating. They run toward me. I fend them off somewhat easily.

"Henchmen, really, Autumn? This is what the budget went toward?" I was hoping for good food, maybe a plane ride to an island. I gave her the necessary funds.

"Don't worry. I got 'em for cheap! They're from the police academy." Her voice sounds pleased with herself. This is the last time I let her run wild with my credit card. I'm hoping she stayed within budget. She can't overspend too much. I put a limit on the card to make sure.

Unfortunately, the crown continues to protect itself by slowly moving into the podium. The last guy is finally out.

I break the glass quickly with my bare fist, since there's no time to wrap it in something. It shatters and I grab the crown right before the security hatch closes.

"Crown attained. Security deactivated."

The door the men came out of opens and Autumn strolls through.

"Congratulations, love, you're officially the sexist and most badass bride ever!" A few female agents pop champagne above us as Morgan and Clara pop out of the vent.

"Did you break the glass with your hand?" Autumn grabs my hand in shock.

"It's not like I had time to wrap it in something after you kept me so busy with disarming those bombs and the escaped squirrel in the conference room." I let Clara wipe off the blood and heal it. Not even she can stop the inevitable scar that will form.

"It was all fake! You didn't have to physically hurt yourself for it!" Autumn continues to scold me.

"But then the crown would have been gone, and I would have lost." Everyone knows I hate to lose.

"If you weren't getting married, I would kill you for being so reckless." She shakes her head. "But I'm happy you liked your surprise."

"It was fun." Clara finishes healing my hand and lets me go.

"Say it!" Autumn demands, looking pleased with herself.

"Best bachelorette party ever." I sling an arm over her shoulder as the group walks out to the helipad.

"Where to?"

"The fanciest rooftop bar I could find with a helipad. Drinks, dancing, and di—"

"Please remember that I have to survive tonight." I don't need to make a trip to the hospital tonight for myself or anyone else.