Chapter 33

(A/N: major spoiler for movie ⬆️)

~Sage's Pov~

I wake up when I hear grandma saying, "Lovebirds, I brought breakfast!"
Oh, no.
"Isaac! Isaac! Isaac!" I whisper, but he doesn't wake up. I throw a pillow at him.
He glares at me.
"My grandma is at the door. Come on!" I whisper urgently, and he jumps up on the bed.
"Are you two okay?" She asks.
"What do we do?" He whispers.
"I don't know. Look natural," I whisper back.
"Yeah, we're fine. Just give us a minute!" I say.
He tries to make it look like we were close together. I'm almost on his lap and laying my head on his chest. Then we get a little too close.
"Oh my frostbite, what is that?" I whisper yell.
"It's morning," he grimaced.
"What do you mean it's morning?" I ask annoyed. Then I get it.
Oh, my frostbite.
"That's disgusting," I mumble, "I still don't forgive you for the dance."
"Okay, c'mon in!" Isaac says as we awkwardly try to look natural, and he frowns as I say that. His hand is on my head, and my hand on his hand. Is it weird that his arm fits almost perfectly around me?
Luckily, she doesn't seem to notice.
She's carrying a tray of chocolate chip pancakes.
"Umm...smells great," Isaac says, and I nod.
Grandpa comes in.
"Guys, we just woke up," I complain.
"We were thinking, and it is a wonderful idea," he starts.
"We want to do something for your wedding while you're here," grandma interrupts.
Isaac and I look at each other.
We both start saying no.
"We don't want to interrupt your birthday," Isaac says.
"I just want to see my Sage happy," she says.
"Why don't we just have an engagement party," I say trying to compromise.
"Okay, dear," she says, but her eyes are still sparkling, "but I'm throwing you a bridal shower!"
We look at each other scared again.
Anything that means we have to prove this is real, is a bad idea.
"Please before I'm dead?" She begs, and we both give in.
"Hurry up, we have to show you the town," she says, and they walk out.
We both fall back in relief when they shut the door.
We stay like that for a minute.
"That was close. Trying to marry me off at nineteen. Thanks guys," I mumble about to turn over trying to go back to sleep.
"Hey, you were the one that said yes to my proposal. And you can't go back to sleep, or I'll tickle you," he teases.
"You wouldn't!" I protest.
"Try me," he smirks.
I hit him with a pillow.
He sticks his tongue out at me, and I throw another.
He gets up and heads to the bathroom.
Thank goodness, because that was awkward and disgusting.
I go in when he comes out.
We eat what's on the tray.
The pancakes are really good, but she burnt a couple.
When we're both done, we head downstairs.
"We take this to our graves," I say.
"Agreed," he says.
Clara and Morgan are looking at us and smiling evilly.
What did they do? Did they hear about what happened?
I'll never live this down.
"Okay, everybody ready?" Grandma says walking out the door.
We follow her, and Morgan and Clara come up next to me.
"We heard about your shower tonight," Clara says.
I look at them strangely.
"Okay, we might have come up with it," Morgan admits.
"What? How could you? They already want to plan the wedding here. I'm having an engagement party tomorrow. What? Do they want a baby too?" I ask. That is definitely not happening. Nope.
They look ashamed, but only for a second.
"Let's go have some fun now then!" Clara suggests.
"I can't leave Isaac alone with them. We'll be goners. They'll know it's not real," I say.
"Brandon and Garrick will be there," Morgan reminds me.
"Sorry, but I don't think they'll help," I say.
They keep begging until I've had enough.
"Okay, fine," I give in. I go up to Isaac and whisper, "The girls are dragging me away, so don't let them get any ideas about us getting married here. Or at all."
"I'll be fine," he says, "How bad could it be?"
"You have no idea. So don't let them drag you into Ruby's Bar! That's just asking for trouble," I say.
"I got it, sweetheart. Now go have fun!" He says and kisses my cheek.
I blush, and the girls pull me into a store.
It's Ruby's nail salon. We walk to the front desk.
"Hey, cousin Sandy," I say when we get there. She looks up and smiles.
"Sage, you're back! And with friends," she says and hugs me.
"Sandy, this is Clara and Morgan, my best friends," I introduce them, "Guys this is my cousin Sandy."
They smile and shake hands.
I tell her about my engagement party.
"You're engaged? Let me see the ring!" She says and grabs my hand, "Beautiful! I must come meet the lucky guy. I'll see you girls tomorrow."
They drag me into another store.
It's the cafe.
My cousins Logan works there. It goes about the same as it did with Sandy.
"I want you guys to meet someone," I say.
They nod and follow me to the school.
I lead them to a classroom.
My best friend, from Ruby, works here.
I open the door and see Veronica.
The kids all turn and stare at us.
"Sage!" She yells and hugs me.
"Veronica!" I say and hug her back.
"Hold on a sec. Kids, time for recess!" She says, and they cheer.
"I haven't seen you in forever. How have you been?" I ask.
"Great, but missed you," she says, "Who are the gorgeous girls behind you?"
"Oh, sorry, guys. This is Morgan and Clara, my best friends from back home. Guys, this is my best friend, Veronica from here," I say and they hug.
"Are you just visiting?" She says and I'm about to respond when she sees my ring, "Oh my gosh, you're engaged? That's great!"
"You can meet him at the party tomorrow," I say, "You're also invited to the bridal shower tonight. I talked grandma out of having the wedding here, so I had to do something for her."
She laughs and I groan.
"You know where it's going to be right?" She asks.
"Please don't say it!" I beg.
"At Ruby's Weddings!" She says.
"That doesn't sound so bad," Morgan says.
"You haven't heard all the stories from my mother's party," I say sadly.
"It probably won't be as bad, because you're only nineteen," Veronica says.
I look at my phone.
"We have to get back. The guys have been alone with them for too long. He might have promised to move here by now," I say getting up.
"See you tonight," she says and hugs me.
We wave to the kids and leave to go back to the boat.
They aren't back yet, so we lounge on the boat.
When I see them coming, Isaac doesn't have any decorations or tux, so that's good.
I'm still nervous though.
I give them each a hug and check to make sure they're not carrying anything.
Clear.
We are on our way back, and I ask Isaac, "Where did you go?"
"Mostly just walked the streets. Your grandma bought some fabric. She said she's going to make us a quilt," he says.
"Oh my frostbite. She's making a baby blanket. Great. First, she tries to marry me off at nineteen, and now she wants a baby? How did I know this was going to happen?" I say and look down.
I know she already did the marriage quilt. She showed it to me when I was seven.
Great. I knew this wouldn't work.
"Hey, it's okay," He pulls me on his lap, "We can do this. Just some excellent acting skills and distracting."
I smile weakly.
"Aww, come on, sweetheart, give me a real smile," he says and tickles me.
"Okay, okay, stop!" I say between giggles.
I turn to see everyone smiling at us. Grandma has started on her quilt.
"See good acting," he whispers.
When we dock, he picks me up and carries me to the house.
I laugh as he spins around.
He sets me gently on the bed.
"Better get ready for the bridal shower," he says winking.
"Don't remind me," I say and don't get up.
He picks me up again and goes to the balcony.
He looks around and flies to the roof.
"Hey, no powers," I say.
"If you say flexibility isn't a power, flying isn't either," he says smiling.
I stick out my tongue and turn looking out over the trees. The sun is going to set soon meaning I have to go to the party.
I remember the dance.
How can he be so sweet and then do that?
I just don't know if I can trust him anymore.
He sees my face and says, "Are you okay?"
"Yeah, I'm fine, but I better go get ready," I shake it off.
He nods knowingly and flies us down.
He leaves and Morgan and Clara come in.
"We are here to get you ready for tonight!" Clara announces.
I roll my eyes.
They look through my suitcase and pull out a blue crop top and white short shorts with blue shoes.
It looks good.
Morgan is wearing a green dress with a colorful scarf while Clara is in a short purple dress with sandals.
They are going to freeze.
Great, I sound like my mother.
We go downstairs and see grandpa talking to Isaac.
"Hey, how are my two favorite guys?" I say trying to take the attention off of Isaac.
"Hello, darling. Excited for the party?" Grandpa asks.
"Yep. It's going to be great," I say with fake enthusiasm.
"I want to take Isaac on a fishing trip tonight," he says, and I cringe, "Is that okay with you?"
My dad told me when he first went on a fishing trip with him, he fell into the lake and never went fishing again.
"Umm...okay but only for an hour," I say. Hopefully, he'll be okay.
"Have fun at your party!" He says, and I mouth "I'm sorry" to Isaac when he turns around.
He looks scared.
He's in for a "good" time.
The girls and I head to the boat where grandma is waiting.
She smiles, and we take off.
There is a crowd waiting around Ruby's Weddings.
I see Veronica and mouth "help" to her. She smiles and shakes her head.
I have to greet everyone.
So many aunts, cousins, and friends here.
I can see why my parents left.
Once everyone is inside, we eat at the little buffet.
I'm too nervous to eat, so I just sit there trying not to look awkward.
Next, it's time for gifts.
I guess this isn't so bad.
Nothing like the stories. But I guess that's because they were at a bar.
I open my grandma's first.
I pull out a wedding quilt.
"Grandma, it's beautiful!" I say and hug her.
It really is. Its blue and has a wedding ring on it.
Some other people got me a sash that says bride to be and a crown.
Then, I get to my aunt Tonia's.
I open it and see a skimpy bra and underwear set. Umm...well, Isaac is NOT seeing this one. He's doesn't need to be getting any ideas. I thank her and music starts playing.
Morgan pulls me up and everyone starts to dance.
I don't like dancing in front of other people. Isaac being the one and only exception.
I look at my phone. It's almost midnight. Most people start to leave.
We clean up and go back to the boat.
It actually wasn't that bad.
I think about poor Isaac.
Hopefully grandpa hasn't hurt him.