Chapter 8

-Morgan's Pov-

Thank goodness for rain. It means less people standing around blocking my parking spot and less pollen in the air. Spring is my favorite season but allergies are the worst.

Besides rain is just nice. You get to wear big clunky rain boots and splash around puddles and carry colorful umbrellas. Not that anyone here appreciates them. I should be living in Paris or Denmark. Somewhere other than here.

I guess here isn't so bad. I get to work as a TSA agent. I have friends I trust with my life, and we have a national park not too far from here. Life could be worse, I guess.

As I walk in the doors, there's a flourish of papers fluttering in the air and a Clara on the ground. I'm about to rush over to her when I notice Brandon Wood bending down to help her.

He helps her up, grabbing her papers with the other hand. How smooth is this guy? If I tried that, I'd be falling flat on my butt.

He suddenly puts his hand to her forehead. I swear Clara almost faints. After a few more seconds he smiles and leaves her rooted to her spot.

I immediately step in front of her and wave my hand in front of her frozen face. Her eyes are glazed over with a dreamy smile on her face.

"Earth to Clara!" I say loudly.

"What?" She snaps out of her trance. "Morgan? What are you doing?"

"The better question is what are you doing talking to Brandon Wood?"

She quickly blushes, her whole face turning pink.
"I kind of ran into him. I was watching the Sage and Isaac show and got distracted."

I throw my arm over her shoulder and start walking us toward our first class. It's the only one we have together.

"So what did he say? You looked like you were swooning."

"He just asked if I was okay and if he needed to take me to the nurse."

"And you said no?" I gasp.

"I know! I'm so stupid!"

"Something we can both agree on." Garrick Robinson calls out from the locker we're passing.

He may be attractive but his hot to mean ratio is going down by the second. You can only be so mean when you're only so attractive. It's a proportional relationship.

Clara throws a gesture behind my back as we keep walking. I'm sure it wasn't pleasant. He deserves it.

"Who does he think he is?"

"Isaac Frost." Clara chimes in making us both giggle. "Oh! I almost forgot! Let me fill you in on the Isaac and Sage show."

"I'm all ears."

[Brandon's Pov]

I wake up to the most annoying sound: Garrick burping in my face.

"Morning!" He laughs in my face.
I groan. Every single morning. The guys on the football team aren't that disgusting.

After our parents died, we moved in with Isaac. We're all like brothers, which means we fight a lot. They're usually over something stupid like the last slice of pizza.

He leaves, and I get ready for school. When I finish breakfast, Isaac comes down the stairs. He looks fancier than usual.

"Someone's looking sharp," I say smirking, "Is it to impress a girl?"

"It's just to show her I can get anyone." He has a mysterious look on his face.

"Winters turn you down again?"

"N-no!" he stutters.

"She's never going to apologize. Just let it go. It's not worth your time."

"It's part of my cover. I'm the bad boy type. I can't have some chick from my past disrespecting me."

"You're the bad boy? Then I'm the president of the United States. Your act is one thing. Revenge is another. Don't draw attention to yourself." He checks himself out in the mirror. "Are you sure this isn't for personal reasons?"

"Don't be so immature. She's nothing to me."

"If she's nothing, why are you still thinking about her?"

"Brand, that's not-"

"Isaac's got a girlfriend!" I yell at the top of my lungs, running around the house while he chases me.

"She's not my girlfriend! Shut up! Brandon, you're going to get it at training today! Shut up! Say one more word, and I'll take Cooper for a joyride on my motorcycle!"

"You wouldn't!" Cooper may or may not be a stuffed bear my dad gave me. It's the last thing I have of his.

"Don't test me. One more word about Sage, and he's losing an eye."

"Fine. No more about Sage or her leaving here in a hurry yesterday. I passed her on my way in, and she was obviously running from something. What was that about?"

"Nothing."

"Obviously it was something."

"No."

"Did you hit on her again?"

"I'm your superior, Brand, you can't just interrogate me-"

"That's a yes. Your plan will never work. As for superior, that's only at the agency. Here we're equals."

"I own the house. We're not equals."

"Calm down, Dad."

His mouth drops. I'm in trouble.

"I AM NOT YOUR FATHER! IF ANYTHING, I AM AN OLDER BROTHER! DON'T EVER CALL ME THAT AGAIN! THIS IS MY HOUSE AND-I sound like my father. I'm having a midlife crisis at nineteen." He keeps babbling as he walks out the door.

I think I broke him. He'll probably be fine. It's time for school anyway.