Chapter 5

-Morgan's Pov-

(Editing)

One more class. I can make it through one more hour.

At least art is my favorite subject. I barely have time for it anymore with my job occupying most of the space. Don't get me wrong. I like it, but it's not something I want to do for the rest of my life or can do. Once you get to forty, you're either moved to Strategy and Finance, promoted to a Director/Commander/etc., or "asked" to retire.

Sage is a favorite for being promoted to Director, but she's young. Way too young to even have a full time job. We all are, but that's what happens when your ex-spy parents die or abandon you.

I shake my head. Enough gloomy thoughts for one day.

The class is deserted except for the teacher and Shelby Harper. She's probably the nicest and friendliest person you will ever meet. I sit in the empty seat next to her.

"Hi, Shelby!"

"Hey, Morgan. I haven't seen you since last year. How have you been?" She greets me.

"Great. What about you?" I wish I could tell her about my missions and traveling the world, but that's a strict violation of agency rules. Honestly, I would either have my memory wiped (if that's possible) or be relocated to a isolated foreign island, ya know, or killed.

Sage is so lucky Autumn works at the agency. She has someone to talk to about our second life.

"Good. I worked on my grandparents farm all summer. I'm never gonna be able to look at hay ever again." We both giggle as a few more students file in with a look of dread on their faces.

"My name is Ms. Bell. Today you will be working on..." our instructor is interrupted by Garrick who comes in the door. Late as usual.

"Why are you late, Mr. Robbins?" She asks.

"Mr. James kept me late."

"Unfortunately you're still late. I'm sure you'll enjoy getting back in the swing of things with a detention this afternoon!" She said.

I giggle. Finally, something bad happens to the elusive Garrick Robbins! Karma is a jerk. Maybe fate is smiling in my direction.

Ms. Bell looks at me and says, "Ms. Summer, you think this is so funny? Detention too!"

My jaw drops. Detention??? I can't get detention! I'm a straight A student! This is outrageous! What would Sage do? She would take it with grace and kill the bastard later.

You can do it, Morgan. Just breathe. Don't let the embarrassment get to you. No one is staring at you. Your face definitely isn't getting super red right now.

I peek to my right where Garrick has settled in and started his assignment. A small smirk graces his face. It quickly fades when Ms. Bell hands him his detention slip.

"Now as I was saying, today you will work on pottery. You can make a sculpture, a pot, or a mask," Mrs. Bell continues.

I'm going to make the best damn pot Cynthia Bell has ever seen. Then she'll be sorry.

I get to work. I'm going to make a pot with a lily curling around it. It's painstaking work, trying to get the lily to lay correctly. It doesn't help that Garrick coughs obnoxiously every two minutes as soon as I'm starting to get it right.

The bell rings before I can get it perfect. Better to turn in something than leave Ms. Bell with another reason to despise me.

I trudge to the detention room. The creepy wall downstairs is the worst part. Why put the detention room with the already scary people in the scariest place on campus? It just doesn't make sense safety-wise.

Garrick and a few other people sitting there already. He lounges in the gum covered desk with his feet on the desk in front of him. Ass.

I sit down in the seat farthest away from him. Then the teacher comes in and says, "Do your homework or just sit there. I don't care as long as your quiet."

*Clara's Pov*

My day was uneventful. At least I got to see Brandon Woods all sweaty after gym class. So worth it. After school I go to the agency. I see Ariana, the usual secretary, isn't sitting at the front desk. I walk up and see Autumn is there.

"Autumn!" I scream, "You're back! How was London?"

She visited there over the summer with her aunt and gushed about it for weeks before she went.

She looks up and yells, "Clara! You look amazing."

We say goodbye, and I go to Sage's office and look for chocolate. She always has some somewhere, if I can find it. I look in the first drawer and see a bar. That was way too obvious. I looked at it again and there is a note on it.

It says, "I knew you would come looking for some, but you'll have to do better than that to find my stash." There's the Sage I know.

I wonder where Morgan and Sage are anyway. I check my phone and see I have a message.

The text is from Morgan. She says she got detention, and it was all Garrick's fault. I'm going to hurt him tomorrow if he did something to her.

I decide that I might as well train.