Chapter 6

~Sage's Pov~

The crowded hallway is loud with people yelling and slamming lockers.
Soon people will start clearing out. There are so many posters on the wall about clubs. Chess club, robotics club, baseball club, honors society... It goes on and on. I'd like to join a couple but I don't have time.

I walk to my locker and put away my books. No one is around my locker which isn't odd. People respect me but aren't that friendly. Isaac on the other hand is the opposite.

I turn around, and he is standing behind me.

"Ready to go, Sagey?" He asks teasingly.

"Only if you are, Izzy," I tease back, and he pouts. It's actually kind of cute, but I don't fall that easily.

Izzy used to be my nickname for him, which he hated, so he came up with mine. I'm not sure which of us hates theirs more.

He glares at me as we walk out to his car. It's a darker blue sports car and a newer model. His parents died. Where does he get all of this stuff? Does he have inheritance or relatives?

Isaac looks at me expectantly and realizes he should open the door. He does, but I shake my head.

"I know where you live. I'm not one of your side chicks that you can sweep off her feet," I say firmly.

He looks at me annoyed.

Finally, he gives in, "Fine. Whatever."

When we get to his house, I look around. It still looks the same as it did when I was little.

His house is pretty big. Not as big as mine, but it's a nice size. It reminds me of an old farm house. It's white with lots of windows. What's funny is there actually is a small barn at the edge of the property. We used to play in it when we were younger.

No one else is home, so we go to the living room. I sit in the blue chair that used to always be reserved for me. He sits in his old dark blue beanbag.

"Okay, let's get started with this assignment."

"It's not like we don't already know the answers to all these questions."

"You don't know anything about me."

"Bet. Try me."

"Childhood pet?"

"Siberian husky named Chakotah."

"Food allergy?"

"Tree nuts and the full spectrum of human emotion."

"Favorite Disney movie?"

"Hercules."

"Favorite Disney soundtrack?"

"The Lion King."

"Favorite musical?"

"Um..."

"Gotcha."

"No! Let me think. Les Mis?"

"Not even close."

"Not a fair question. You started liking musical theatre after—"

"After you almost got me killed."

"I didn't—"

My phone rings, cutting him off. It's TSA's director, Vanessa Melody. This must be important if she couldn't wait for the meeting we're having later today.

"A—Sage speaking." I almost said agent. That would have been an awkward situation to get myself out of. I could always freeze more of his memories, but I honestly don't know how many times I can do that without freezing his entire brain. Guess we'll find out eventually.