Chapter Seven. The Card

Chapter Seven        

Well, that’s all I needed to know.

I wasn’t in the mood for anything. I went home.

Later on, Ethan called and said he was coming over. I didn’t stop him. I didn’t tell him that I was basically in l…in lo…extremely in like with Calluh.

When he came, I was a little reluctant in letting him in. As soon as I opened the door I became angry. His smiling face and cheery appearance made me want to just I don’t know. Freak out.

Turns out, he didn’t want to come in. He just sat there smiling. He knew.

He did know she was mine.

“So…Calluh...eh?” His eyebrow went up and he had that sparkle now.

I stayed quiet. It was building.

“What a catch.” Watch your fucking mouth.

“She came to me crying yesterday, and I comforted her.” Say one more thing. One more god damn thing.

“One man’s trash is another ones treasure.” That it.

Snap.

I punched him right in the mouth. And I enjoyed every moment of bone against bone crunching. His jaw shattered under my knuckles. I let out a low growl. It didn’t sound like me. But it was so good.

He stumbled back, holding his jaw. I smiled.

“You couldn’t be more wrong.” I said.

I closed the door and looked back at my very surprised sister.

“Good day.” I said with a chuckle and a mock hat tip.

That was how the night of the worst day ended for me.

I slept pretty well though.

---------

I woke up to a tapping on my window.

At first I thought it was a dream, so I turned around, pulled up my blankets and cuddled back up to Cove. Reef shuffled a little bit at my feet, I moved my toes to show him I was fine and started to fall back asleep.

There was that damn tap again.

Now I wasn’t dreaming but I could be going crazy. I rubbed my eyes and sat up. The tapping happened again and I looked at my window. There was half a figure in it which almost made me fall off my bed in fright. You know, when guys wake up they’re like babies. They try to act all tough but until the adrenaline actually hits, they’re as scared as you are.

And I was as scared as I should be when you wake up at 3am and there’s someone in the window.

Well, mustering up what ever energy I could, and what ever courage, I walked to the window and opened it. And the person let themselves in like it wasn’t anyone’s business. I thought about where the closest potential weapon was, fell short and then prepared to use my fists if needed. This was the adrenaline I was talking about.

The shadowy figure laughed and I called down as I recognized it. I calmed down from the rush but quickly got angry.

It was Calluh.

Then in my mind I mumbled. Like a lily.

I had to laugh at that, it didn’t seem complete without it.

“Why are you here, you and Ethan...” I said but stopped.

“Are nothing more than two acquaintances’.” She finished. Even through the darkness I could see that twinkle. It seemed to be pulling me in.

I wrapped my arms around her and hugged her tight. It was and embrace that a man will only do to one girl in his whole life. I felt it a little bit earlier than most.

“You and that blonde girl though.” She melted into my chest.

“She my ex. It was nothing, I swear.” I laid my chin on the top of her head.

“You’re a liar.” She pushed me softly back and looked into my eyes.

Our emotions became one again. Like the night on the dock. I could feel her heart. I could feel my heart.

I nodded. She knew me. I couldn’t say lie anymore to her.

“I’m not the kind of guy you would ever want to be with.” I said, knowing I couldn’t stay awake much longer. I lay back on the bed and looked at her.

“I know.” She opened my hand and put something in it. And I fell asleep.

That’s the last thing I could remember. And I dreamt of her crawling in bed with me.

I wasn’t sure really what part of that night I was dreaming. And what of it was real.

But the only thing I was sure of was that I woke up smelling like her.

And in my hand I held a crumpled card.

A King. Without the crown.

What was this girl doing to me?