Chapter Twenty-Five

Start from the beginning

Was that a threat? I stepped back.

"Carter?" Devland turned to face him for the first time. "Come with me, and we'll ensure you get to see the doctor right away. We'll have your family meet us. Does that sound alright?"

Carter looked at me, seeming unsure.

After a slight hesitation, I nodded. Devland wouldn't do something after announcing in front of the High Council that his plan was to help Carter before reuniting him with his family. Cautiously, Carter moved forward until he was beside Devland, though he never looked up from his view of the floor and didn't say a single word. I felt vindicated that my assumption that he was timid around Devland was correct while at the same time angry that Carter couldn't be met with more warmth after the trauma he'd already endured.

Devland, smug as always, nodded at Islene, Calin, and me. "We're done. For now. Please ensure that you stay available if further questions need answering."

Islene raised her chin. "Actually, as a member of the High Council, I think I will stay, but Nora and Calin should certainly go home. It's been a trying day and they should rest." She lowered her head and glared at Devland. "As Nora is in my care, I will advise you now that we are taking a trip. We'll be available by cell phone, if needed. I assume that's sufficient?"

"So long as any information you gather is shared."

"I wouldn't delay something like that." Again, Islene raised her chin and her shoulders squared.

"So, we're free to leave?" Calin asked, his voice emotionless. His hand moved to the small of my back and gently started to push me in the direction of the door we'd come through. "Mom's right. We're tired. If you need us—either of us—Mom can coordinate our availability." He looked at Carter. "You're sure you're okay without us?"

"I'll make sure he has your number," Islene said. "I'll come home after seeing to it that Carter is back with his family and has seen a doctor."

I liked the way that Islene prioritized that for Carter—family first. If I still had one, I would want to see my mom before any doctor attended to me unless it was necessary. My surrogate families were fantastic, of course, but nothing beat the real thing. Devland certainly didn't qualify. I was pretty sure he wouldn't know what it meant to be a father even if someone transported him back to when it was okay for seniors to paddle freshman during rush week and studded it with half-drilled screws on the paddle until he could define the word. Even then—as I had proven when attempting magic when I was younger—theory was so much different than practice.

Despite worrying about Islene staying and Carter being within Devland's grasp, I ducked my head to avoid the wary glances of the rest of the Council and let Calin lead me away. Onyx followed, staying so close to my side I wasn't sure a fly could get away with trying to do me harm. Silence followed us out of the room, and I imagined Devland and Islene were still staring each other down. Hopefully, though I didn't hear chatter pick up as the door closed behind us—this time symbolizing our unwelcome return, should we wish to go back—they didn't allow their defiance of one another to impede prioritizing what Carter needed.

"Do you want to stop at Celestial Java?" Calin asked, dropping his hand from my back once we reached the elevator. He pushed the button on the wall and dropped his arms to his side. "You must be exhausted with the day we've had."

"No, thank you." I shook my head.

"No coffee?"

"No."

The elevator doors opened, and we entered the shaft. This time, we didn't need to have Islene with us because the button for the ground floor obviously wasn't a secret like the meeting area for the High Council was. No finger poke, no passcode. We rode in silence, not even speaking when we finally escaped and made our way back to Calin's car—through the tunnel, up the elevator, down the grubby above-ground tunnel, across the courtyard, and finally down the massive stairs. Thankfully, going down wasn't as tiring as our ascension had been, or I'd likely have fallen asleep and rolled to the landing.