Sub Rosa

Upon Kowalski's return to the lab with breakfast, the first sign of something being wrong was that his human (daughter) friend was missing.

But with her needing to work, he only sadly shrugs at this. And put away his burnt toast with butter goo away.

Second sign was them not seeing her at all near them when they went topside and started their normal zoo day. She wasn't there cleaning or reading a book on the bench. But maybe she was cleaning the offices again, so they didn't mind this.

It was the third sign when she didn't show up to feed them ...Something wasn't right. At this point, the four split up and started looking for her. Private went to check the storage rooms, Rico the offices, and Skipper in the park, while Kowalski checked the cameras.

As Skipper slides around the park, he finally spots what looks like an orange-haired girl and slides up towards her cautiously. And indeed, the orange hair is what gave her away, and Bridget sat by the root of a tree, her face buried in her knees.

"So this is where you've been hiding at."

Upon hearing the flathead's voice, her shoulders flinch. A slight groan comes out of her. "Whadda ya doin here, Paranoid?"

"Seeing where you were. Making sure you weren't snagged by that dog or X or something." He crosses his flippers.

She sighs on her knees. "Well, I'm not. So ya can go."

"Why are you avoiding us? Kowalski ticked you off?"

"Just need a break."

"So his clinginess is bugging you. Had a feeling it would be soon."

She shakes her head. "He's got attachment issues."

"Trust me, we know." He rolls his eyes.

Bridget sighs. "But I know he means well...I'm not ticked with him on that, I'm thinkin on it,"

"Eh well, if it helps your thinking, he was pretty shocked when he tried to bring you breakfast and you were just gone." He side-eyes her.

Oh look, he made her groan.

"You're the one that snuck out without a goodbye."

"That's because I'm not flattered by the idea of me 'comin around'." Her voice sternly shoots back at him.

Skipper looks at her. "Huh?"

Bridget lifts up her head, revealing her slightly red eyes and tired expression. "Ya wanna know what ticked off your 'insider man'?"

"Alright, so you eavesdropped on part of a conversation."

"The door was left open, I was gonna hear it whether or not I wanted ta," she scoffs before sitting up, rubbing her eyes. "But yeah, I heard ya. Not a fan ya assume I'd stick around."

"And why shouldn't I? You seem to be getting along with the team pretty well. You could be useful to us, and we could have your back." He shrugs. "Sounds like a good deal to me. Keeps you from having to have your memory wiped."

"Oh, so if I do leave I will get memory wiped," She growls a bit. "Guess that means I'll keep my distance so there's not much ta erase."

"Oh yeah?" He snorts, glaring at her. "Thought you might have liked an option to keep the memories, but I guess I was wrong."

"I got plans, I appreciate the offer and enjoy your company, but stayin in New York isn't the life for me," Bridget huffs.

"What kind of plans?"