Finding Sanctuary

Lauren's POV

I wake up the next morning, feeling Camila's warmth beside me as I rest my cheek on top of her head.

"Mhmm," Camila hums. Her hand gripped my shirt under my armor as she nuzzles her face more into my shoulder.

"Are you awake?" I whisper.

"Five more minutes, mom," Camila mumbles.

I chuckle softly as I kiss the top of her head. "Come on, we need to get moving today," I said.

Camila groans before lifting her head and turning to face the sky. "What do you mean?" She asks.

"We can't stay out in the open for long. We need some sort of sanctuary," I said.

Camila sits up as her hair falls, covering her face as I sit up as well.

I look around to see everyone is not around and I stand up, looking around panicked and concerned.

"What's wrong?" Camila stands up.

"Where's everybody?" I ask.

Camila looks behind me and smiles. "They're on the highway," She says.

I turn around and sigh with relief to see that she's right as everybody rummages through the cars or they're playing around with a football they found.

"You worry too much," Camila says.

"I feel guilty," I said.

"For what?" Camila's eyebrows furrow.

"The fire that occurred. I'm sure everyone knows that James probably caused it and I know that it was all my fault," I said.

"Hey, we can't move on if we can't forget it. I'm sure everyone here doesn't hold a grudge against you. We have each other," Camila says.

"And no safe place to stay. As a leader, I need to give my people a safe place to stay," I said.

"And we will find one. Together. You're not alone, Lauren," Camila says.

I turn around to face her as I bring a hand up and cup her cheek. "Thank you, Camila. I love you," I said.

Camila leans against my hand as she closes her eyes when my thumb starts to caress her cheekbone.

"I love you too," Camila says.

I lean down slightly and connect our lips in a gentle kiss as I pull Camila closer to me.

"Camila," I whisper once I pull away.

"Yes?" Camila whispers.

"If the opportunity were to come, will you want to have a kid with me?" I ask.

Camila stares deeply into my eyes as she caresses my hand that's still on her cheek. "I would," She says.

I bite my lower lip as I rest my forehead against hers. "I will fight hard to make sure we have a future," I said.

"I know you will," Camila smiles.

"We should tell the group we will get moving soon," I said.

"Yeah," Camila says.

About an hour later, we finally hit the road as we were able to find three cars that worked.

"I can't believe we found cars that worked," Camila says beside me.

"The glory of having people that know about cars," I said.

"I will kiss Zayn and Colson as a thank you," Camila says.

"Please don't," I said.

"I won't," Camila smiles.

We fall silent as I look at the review mirror to check on the others who are right behind me, they are in an RV, and then just right behind it a truck as well.

"Do you think there's another place out there?" Camila asks.

I take a glance at her and reach over, taking her hand in mine. "I do. And if there's not we will find a place," I said.

Just up ahead I see a roadblock of cars as I press on the brakes, making the car tires screech and our fronts bump against the dashboard, the other's vehicles behind me screeching to a stop as well.

"Lauren... Lauren... Lauren!" Camila screams, gripping my forearm. 

"What?" I ask confused.

"The sides! People are rushing us," She says.

I look to my side towards the woods to see people rushing out, guns raised.

I look behind me and see my people getting escorted out of the cars with guns to their heads.

I grab my pistol from my thigh holster and get out but I immediately get circled.

"Put your gun down!" A man orders.

But I don't oblige as I keep my pistol pointed at one of the people.

Then I feel myself get hit on the side of the head as I fall, my gun flying out of my hands.

Camila gets escorted to me with a gun pointed to her head as she's forced down on her knees.

"What do you want with us?" I growl.

None of the people respond as everyone and I get dragged to the middle of the road in front of the blockage of cars.

The door to the off-road truck in the middle opens as a person jumps out and we hear the heels of western boots walk over to us.

"Why is she bleeding?" They speak.

The voice is deep and masculine, a little menacing like you should not mess with this person.

I look up and I finally get a look at him, his hair and his beard are black mixed with white meaning he's quite older than me, he's wearing a western button-up shirt with black jeans and of course the western boots as there's a gun belt around his waist with a revolver in the holster.

I lock eyes with him and he looks at me as if he knows me.

"What do you want from us? We were just passing by," I speak.

"I know," Mr. Western boots says.

He turns to the man who hit me as he grips his shoulder and I can tell it was tight because the man winces.

"I told you to stop them without hurting them. And you hurt their leader. How does that make us look?" Mr. Western boots questions in a firm voice.

"Bad, sir," The man who hit me says.

I just look at their interaction and I can tell that the man with the western boots is the leader.

"I will address your actions back at the base," The leader says. He turns to all of us and smiles apologetically. "I'm sorry for all of this but we're a little cautious," He says.

"You still haven't answered my question. What do you want with us? Who are you?" I ask.

"We will discuss that back at the base but... I do know you, Lauren Jauregui," The leader says.