The Pure Blood

Camila's POV

"What... Where... Where am I?" The zombie now turned human man says.

"More importantly. Who are you?" Lauren walks up to him.

"I was... Am... Harry Styles. What... What happened?" He asks.

"What was the last thing you remembered?" Lauren asks.

"I was with my group of people. We were overrun by the undead and I got bit. I turned into one of them, didn't I?" Harry asks.

"Yes," Lauren nods.

"Then... How am I a human again?" Harry asks.

"That is something hard to explain but... Welcome back to the land of the living," Lauren says. She walks over to me and places a hand on my arm. "Come with me to my office," Lauren says. She turns to the rest and points at Harry. "Get him settled in," Lauren orders.

"Yes, ma'am!" They all said.

In Lauren's office, I pace back and forth as I take in what happened out there.

Lauren bounces her leg up and down as she takes a long sip of her whiskey glass. "This is... Extremely crazy," Lauren finally speaks.

"What the fuck am I?" I whisper to myself.

"You're a human just like the rest of us but different. Let's hope the doctors can find something in your records. We should probably send them some of your blood so they can run some tests on it," Lauren says.

"But what the fuck does that mean for me? I'm something covered in human flesh," I said.

"You are human! You are the future for humankind," Lauren says.

"I sure as hell don't feel human," I said.

"Well, you are to me," Lauren says.

I stop pacing as I stare deeply into her eyes. "You don't look at me like some weird creature?" I ask.

"Why would I?" Lauren raises an eyebrow.

"Because I can't get infected by this virus. I heal. I have inhuman strength. I just turned someone that was a zombie back into a damn human," I said.

"Yet you are a human. A damn pretty one. A brave one," Lauren says.

"Did you just called me pretty?" I crack a small smile.

Lauren taps her index finger against her glass as she sits back in her seat. "That is something extremely obvious," Lauren looks down at the floor. She clears her throat and stands up. "Let's go to the infirmary so they can take some blood out," Lauren says.

Lauren's POV

"Two tubes is enough," Dr. Brooke says.

"Have you found anything out on Camila's records?" I ask.

"No. Not anything at all. But Camila has never been exposed so she has pure blood. If her body did develop the virus so she can be immune then we will be able to figure it out on these blood tests," Dr. Brooke says.

"And her other abilities? The healing, the inhuman strength, the turning undead back into humans?" I ask.

"That is something I have never encountered ever in my career. This is something else. But this something is something great for humankind that's for sure," Dr. Brooke says.

"Y'all better not be thinking of turning me into a damn experiment," Camila says.

"Of course not," I shake my head. I grab Camila's arm and squeeze it softly. "Let's leave the doctors to do their work," I said.

"Okay," Camila nods. Outside, the brunette looks around, avoiding looking at me.

"What's wrong?" I ask.

"This is... A lot," Camila says.

"With these abilities you have or the fact that you awoke in a different world?" I ask.

"Both," Camila answers.

"I had my wife when all this went down. It's been two years now since she... Got killed. This year has been extremely hard. She was the only one that kept me with hope. She kept me sane. I have so much blood on my hands," I speak.

"Didn't you already ever since all this started?" Camila asks.

"No. I had mercy for humans. Now... Now I just want to kill everyone that is part of the Lost Blood community. I don't care if it's men, women, or children. They will drown in their blood," I seethe.

"You don't have to kill innocents, Lauren," Camila says.

"They deserve it for being part of a community that is lead by the man that tortured me and killed my wife just to make a point," I said.

"It's bad to hold hatred in your heart," Camila says.

I turn to look at her. "My wife was my whole world. She always knew how to keep me in control because I can be pretty murderous when I have a good reason to be. And right now, that is the only thing I have," I said.

"You don't think you can love again? Move on? Without forgetting your wife of course," Camila says.

I look deep into her eyes before tilting my head up to look at the orange sky as the sun sets on the horizon.

"Only time will tell," I finally say.

"You know that it can be sooner than you think, right? Don't just focus on hatred and revenge. It will blind you from things that can be greater," Camila says.

I stiffen when she puts a hand on my shoulder. Impulsively, I bring my hand up and rest it on top of her hers, making her smile.

"We still have some trials to do," I speak.

"Oh. Yeah," Camila slips her hand out.

I hold back a smile as we walk back over to where the others are.

"Where's the man?" I ask.

"Showering, changing, settling in," Zayn answers.

I nod and I walk over to him and take out his pistol from its holster. "Alright, Camila. Turn around, let's see if you can sense the bullet coming," I said. I turn to face her and raise the gun.

"Whoa, hold on! Should we talk about this? What if she can't sense it and the bullet pierces her?" Gerald says.

"We've all gotten shot, Gerald. Zayn and I did it as a test in the military," I look at him.

"Yeah but Camila... One, she just freshly woke up from a 3-year coma, and two, she's never experienced pain, not like this," Gerald says.

"Camila?" I raise my eyebrow at her.

"Do it," Camila nods.

She turns around and I put on the silencer Zayn gave me on the gun.

"Okay. 3... 2... 1..." I press down on the trigger.

The bullet was about to pierce through her shoulder but Camila turns around and catches the bullet between her fingers.

I lower the pistol as Camila drops the bullet to the ground.

"I don't know what to feel about that," I said.

"Impressive," Zayn smiles.

I raise the gun again, and look at Camila, as she just nods. I pull the trigger and the bullet pierces through Camila's stomach.

Camila screams as she digs in and pulls the bullet out, bloodied, but still intact.

We all stare at the wound to see that it's not healing at all.

"I think we just found out the answer to our question," I said.

"I can only heal when it's a wound caused by an undead," Camila looks up at me.