Chapter 22: BALL

Audio titled: FEEL THE FIRE

Chapter
022

BALL
(Not that Kind of Ball)

***

The day after the challenge, Jong Woo swore to himself to never use an unfinished invention ever again

He had woken up, only to find himself almost paralyzed from his sore muscles.

With gritted teeth, he had managed to stand up and examine his body.

He was covered in nasty bruises and even some deeper cuts.

Apparently, his shield had indeed deflected the attacks, but somehow a part of the force was still transmitted to his body.

Where the bullets had hit him the day before, were now circular blue bruises that hurt like hell, but at least weren't deadly.

He cursed Moon Jo for not giving him enough time to test and refine his shield. He was carefully putting back on his clothes, when he heard someone enter his shop.

"I'm closed for today," yelled Jong Woo.

"I am not here to buy anything Yoon Jong Woo, a word if you pleased?"

Jong Woo groaned silently when he recognised the voice and slowly walked to the front. "Shin Jae Hoo," he began, trying in vain to keep out his irritation, "please tell me your son isn't running around alone again."

Jae Hoos' lips thinned in displeasure at the quip. "Rest assured, he is quite safe for the moment. No, I am here because my leader has requested your presence."

"Oh what the—... It hasn't even been a day, tell him to give me a fucking break!"

To Jae Hoos' credit, he didn't even react to Jong Woo's outcry.

"I'm serious, tell him I'll come tomorrow, but not now."

"Then I am afraid I cannot leave," retorted Jae Hoo and took some more steps into his shop. He looked at a big wooden box and apparently contemplated whether to sit down or not and then decided against it when seeing the dust on the surface.

Jong Woo stared at him. "You've got to be kidding me."

He could see Jae Hoo's eyes coming alive with determined malice.

Jong Woo wondered if annoying him had become the new sport among Jeoseung Saja's followers.

Jong Woo wanted to convince himself that it was fine; Jae Hoo could stand there the whole day if he liked to, but he hated it when someone was watching him and he sure as hell wouldn't go back to sleep while a stranger was in his house.

"I can't work while someone is breathing down my back."

Jae Hoo only shrugged lightly. "You could offer me some tea."