Chapter 3

A couple hours passed before the Viking boy woke up. When his eyes opened I paid close attention to them and saw that they were a beautiful forest green. He looked at me and we locked eyes. I smiled a bit and he started to blush.

"H-hi." He said as he slowly sat up.

"Hello." I said softly while tucking a lock of my hair behind my ear. "How are you feeling? I saw you falling from the top of the cove."

The boy held his head as he answered. "Alright I guess. I-I um..I p-passed out from seeing you..y-ya know..become human..h-how are you able to do that anyway?"

"Turn human? I have been able to do it for as long as I can remember. I am not sure if all Night Furies can do it, though. I..have been alone my whole life. Well..from what I can remember at least." I replied, looking down sadly.

"I'm so sorry to hear that.." The boy said.

I shrugged and messed with my hair. The boy cleared his throat.

"M-my name's Hiccup. Hiccup Horrendous Haddock the Third."

I looked up with a smile. "My name is Kala."

Hiccup smiled with a light blush tinting his cheeks. "That's a beautiful name. So, you said Night Furies earlier. Does that mean that we were right about what your species is called?"

I nodded. "Yes. Humans get the species names correct every time."

"That's a relief. Would be awful if we were completely wrong about you guys. Um..do you know why you guys raid our village?"

I raised a brow in confusion. "Well, from what I can remember, I try to stay out of those kinds of things. But as for the other dragons' reasons, I do not remember."

"You don't remember?"

I shook my head. "I'm sorry Hiccup. I..don't even know where we are right now."

Hiccup's eyes widened and then he got a sympathetic look on his face. "I'm so sorry Kala..maybe if I never shot you down you would still have your memories.." He looked away from me sadly.

My eyes widened slightly. "Wait. What do you mean you shot me down?"

Hiccup grew nervous as he looked back at me and fiddled with his hands. "W-well..yesterday morning, you and a ton of other dragons attacked my village. During the commotion, I was able to sneak out of the forge that I work in and set up my bola launcher. I waited for you to show up and when you destroyed one of the catapults my village uses during raids, I shot you down." He then looked away again as he rubbed the back of his neck. "Um..after some stuff went down with my dad and the rest of the village, I came out into the forest to look for you..and when I found you I was..g-gonna kill you..a-and take your heart to my dad..but..when I looked into your eyes..I couldn't bring myself to do it.."

I looked down as it sunk in, realizing why I had been tied up in the first place. "So that's why you released me yesterday.."

"Yeah..um..w-why didn't you kill me yesterday? You had the perfect opportunity to and you just..roared at me. Why?" Hiccup asked.

I stiffened up and averted eye contact. "W-well.."

"Was it because I released you?" He asked with a small head tilt and a raised brow.

I played with a strand of my hair nervously, keeping from looking at him.

"That and..well..when I looked into your eyes I.." I fumbled, then released a heavy breath and looked at him. "I saw myself. I couldn't bring myself to do it."

Hiccup looked at me dumbfounded and I gave him a confused look.

"What?" I asked, releasing my grip on my hair and tilting my head to the right.