Chapter 6

I glanced back at Kala and saw that she was a blushing mess and frozen in place. I covered my face looking down in embarrassment.

'I shouldn't have said that...Way to go Hiccup...you probably just lost your only friend...'

I peeked through my fingers and saw Kala shake her head to snap out of her trance.

"I-I...need to um...process this..." She said, then turned into her dragon form and walked off.

I sighed and sat down on a small rock near the lake.

'Great...she probably hates me now...The gods must really hate me...'

~~~HTLANF~~~

As I hung on a branch of one of the trees hidden by my wings, I thought over what Hiccup just said.

'He likes me? Like, like likes me? But I'm a dragon. Why would a human ever fall for me? And so quickly for that matter? Can humans and dragons even be in a relationship? Wouldn't that be an abomination to everyone else and even the gods? How would that even work? I mean, yeah, I can become human, but I'm still a dragon at the end of the day. Maybe I'm overthinking this..maybe this isn't a bad thing. It proves that I can be loved, right? I finally found someone that isn't terrified of even being near me. Sure, he used to be scared of me, but that was before he started to get to know me. Plus, he's really really cute. What would his village say? Would they cast him out? Or worse, kill him..? Oh gods! I don't want Hiccup to be killed because of me! He's my only friend! Why is this so difficult?!'

As I was overthinking, I somehow fell asleep.

~~~HTLANF~~~

I stayed in the cove messing around while I waited for Kala to come back over to me. It was starting to get dark, but I didn't really feel like going back to the village just yet. I sketched Kala's human form for a while in my journal to pass the time, but then decided to ditch that and draw in the dirt. I found a stick and started to doodle near the lake, sitting on the same rock I did before. I got so lost in the drawing that I didn't hear Kala coming back over. I heard something breaking and looked up to see Kala with a small tree in her mouth.

She looked so happy as she dragged the tree around in the dirt.

I smiled as I watched, but then groaned in pain as I got whacked in the head with the tree as she was drawing. Don't really know if that was intentional or not.

She put a dot as she finished up her drawing then dropped the tree and purred. I got up and looked at the drawing, but as I started to try and walk to get a better look, Kala growled at me. I picked up my foot and she started to purr again.

Just to test it, I stepped on the line again and she growled. I tried a couple more times and kept getting the same reaction.

Realizing she didn't want the drawing ruined, I started to step around the lines. It sorta became a dance as I maneuvered through her drawing. I got so lost in the movement that I didn't realize where I was going until I ran into something and felt hot air blowing against me.

I turned around to come face to face with Kala. I smiled a bit and reached out to pet her, but she growled and I moved my hand away. I looked down thinking.

'Maybe she's still upset about my confession earlier..I wonder..'

Without another thought, I looked away while reaching my hand out to her.

~~~HTLANF~~~

My eyes widened a bit as Hiccup looked away from me and reached out his hand again.

'Is he actually trusting me to not hurt him? He really has fallen for me hasn't he? You know what? Being in a relationship with him may actually be fun. But it's too soon. I need to get to know him better.'

And with that I closed my eyes and touched my snout to his hand purring softly.

~~~HTLANF~~~

As I felt scales touch skin I looked back at Kala and smiled while blushing.

'She doesn't hate me! Yes!'

Kala's eyes opened and we kept eye contact for what felt like forever. Her purrs felt so relaxing and her scales were so smooth. I started to pet her and she closed her eyes again starting to purr louder. I chuckled and kept petting her.

"Good to know we're on good terms again." I said as I kept giving her pets. "I'm glad you don't hate me now. I don't know what I would've done if you did." I sighed and looked down and slowly stopped petting her. "You're..my only friend honestly.."

Kala whined and nudged me. I smiled a bit.

"Thanks..just hard living amongst people that think you're a mistake.."

Kala turned human and hugged me tightly.

"I had no idea your village hated you Hiccup.."

I hugged her back just as tight trying not to cry.

"I hadn't really brought it up until now..so.."

"Guess we have some stuff in common. From what I can remember, wherever I went all the dragons hated me just because I was a runt and a Night Fury.."

I pulled back a bit and locked eyes with her.

"What? I'm so sorry Kala.."

She shook her head and smiled at me.

"You don't have to be sorry Hiccup. It's not your fault that the other dragons never liked me. It's no one's fault. I just have bad luck."

I chuckled a bit. "Same here. It's like the gods chose to make my life miserable for their entertainment."

"Right?! It's like they have nothing better to do, but see us suffer."

Kala and I laughed at that.

"I had no idea we had so much in common." I said with a smile.

Kala nodded and smiled back. "Yeah, me neither. It's nice. Guess that explains why we saw ourselves in each other, huh?"

I nodded in agreement then looked at the sky.

"I should head back. I think Gobber wanted to eat dinner at one of the watchtowers and tell us stories."

"Wish I could come with, but I don't want to make people question how I got here."

I smiled and hugged her. "I'll make sure to tell you the stories next time I come by."

Kala hugged me back purring slightly. "I look forward to it."

We separated and I grabbed the materials I brought from the forge then left the cove.

~~~HTLANF~~~