Chapter 7

When I got back to the village I immediately went to the forge to drop off the materials. I was about to start working on Kala's new tailfin, but I saw the other teens and Gobber heading to the watchtower.

'Guess I'll start working on it afterwards.'

I left the forge and quickly caught up with the others. I stayed in the back of the group to keep the other teens from picking on me like they always do.

As we got to the top I started to help Gobber set up the fire as the others got out the food we brought up from the Great Hall. We all chose what we wanted and sat down starting to cook it over the fire.

To pass the time Gobber started to tell us his stories.

"...And with one twist, he took my hand, and swallowed it whole. And I saw the look on his face: I was delicious. He must have passed the word, because it wasn't a month before another one of them took my leg."

Since I had heard these a lot over the years of working for him in the forge, I just focused on eating the fish I chose to cook over the fire.

"Isn't it weird to think that your hand was inside a dragon? Like if your mind was still in control of it, you could have killed the dragon from the inside by...crushing his heart, or something." Fishlegs said. He earned some concerned and weirded out looks from the rest of us.

"I swear, I'm so angry right now! I'll avenge your beautiful hand and your beautiful foot. I'll chop off the legs of every dragon I fight. With my face!" Snotlout stated. I facepalmed at that.

'Why is he such an idiot? I get we're Vikings, but come on Snotlout.'

"Un-unh. It's the wings and the tails you really want. If it can't fly, it can't get away. A downed dragon is a dead dragon." Gobber said.

I mentally sighed in relief. 'Thank the gods I decided to make Kala a new tailfin. Not to mention she'd easily be able to blend in with human civilization if it came to that.'

"Alright. I'm off to bed. You should be, too. Tomorrow we get to the big boys. Slowly but surely making our way up to the Monstrous Nightmare. But who'll win the honor of killing it?" Gobber stated before he left the watchtower.

'Not me, that's for sure.' I thought as the others started to talk excitedly amongst themselves.

"It's gonna be me. It's my destiny. See?" Tuffnut said as he showed off a tattoo on his side.

Fishlegs gasped as we looked at it. "Your Mom let you get a tattoo?"

"It's not a tattoo. It's a birthmark."

"Okay, I've been stuck with you since birth, and that was never there before." Ruffnut stated in a matter-of-fact tone.

"Yes, it was. You've just never seen me from the left side until now."

I rolled my eyes and got up then left the watchtower. With my mind set, I went straight to the forge to work on the tailfin for Kala. I know Gobber wouldn't mind. He knows I wouldn't burn the place down. On purpose that is.

When I entered I made sure to take my vest off and replace it with my work apron. I got my journal and some spare parchment then drew the blueprints I came up with for the tailfin more to scale on the larger parchment. Once that was done I set to work on actually making the prosthetic.

I worked for hours, making sure everything would work and functioned how it should. When it was done I made sure everything was good to go one last time. I smiled triumphantly.

'Kala is going to be so happy when I take this to her in the morning. I should probably bring her some clothes too. She might get cold at night if she decides to sleep as a human.'

I nodded to myself and took off my apron, replacing it with my vest and heading home with the prosthetic tailfin.

When I got home I went straight to my room. I set the prosthetic on my desk and started to sift through all of my clothes in search of something for Kala to wear.

'She seems to look like my size. Can she even keep the clothes on? Or would she need to take them off before she transforms back into a dragon? I'll have to ask her.'

After a while of searching, I finally found some clothes that would suit her. I found one of my gray tunics, black pants, a black fur vest made from a wolf pelt, and some black fur boots made out of the same wolf pelt as the vest. I barely ever wore them, so might as well give them to Kala so they don't collect dust.

I blushed just thinking about what Kala would look like in this outfit but quickly shook my head to keep from going too deep into my fantasies.

'Not the time Hiccup. Not the time.'

I collected the clothes and folded them neatly then set them on top of the prosthetic.

'Maybe I should make her a cloak..Winter is coming soon and I don't know if she keeps her warmth from her dragon fire as a human or not. Hmm..'

I got out my journal and started to draw designs for a cloak for her, completely forgetting to go to bed.

~~~HTLANF~~~