- Middle of Freakin' Nowhere -

This Is How We Walk On The Moon - Jose Gonzales

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=this+is+how+we+walk+on+the+moon&&view=detail&mid=39BABD3DBB383AD616D439BABD3DBB383AD616D4&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=%2Fvideos%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dthis%2Bis%2Bhow%2Bwe%2Bwalk%2Bon%2Bthe%2Bmoon%26FORM%3DHDRSC3

Charlie's been in a rush ever since he saw the coordinates marked on that tree.

He knew the place. He said that no one would find us there; it's virtually off the map. Untraceable.

We could use that about now.

It felt like we had been walking for years. The place was about 30 miles from the facility, give or take. But I felt like not even 900 miles would be far enough away from there.

We got within 2 miles of the shelter by nightfall, with intermittent jogging to prevent this from being a two-day trip.

Everyone wanted to take a break and rest, but Charlie. He was determined to keep going.

We hadn't had one break, other than bathroom-related incidents.

Not me, ask Tyler.

He's very proud of himself.

I shivered at the thought. Disgusting.

Hiking in the dark is not fun if you've never done it. Mosquitos are draining half your blood supply, some terrifying sounding animals called bears, and it's freezing.

Tyler thought it was funny to pretend to be a bear and hide in the brush.

Let's just say he got one hell of a bruise when he jumped out, making bear noises at me.

"Come on, we're almost there." Charlie encouraged. The rest of us groaned. "Do I need to remind you of the tire tracks? Those were patrol vehicles, and they are looking for us."

"Not at this hour." Tyler protested.

Slumped against a tree, sweat shone on his forehead glimmering in the moonlight that filtered through the trees.

"Yeah, it's 3 am. I'm sittin'." Violet agreed, dropping her pack to the ground and following it down.

Xander and Faith followed suit. I looked at Derek, and he just shrugged, looking around bored.

Mr. I Don't Care Unless My Brother Fake Dies.

"Come on, guys, just a little further, right?" I looked to Charlie.

He raised his eyebrows in surprise, then gave me a small smile in thanks.

We were still in the polite post-breakup phase.

"Yes, just beyond that hill." Charlie pointed ahead at a small hill about 60 yards away. I nodded, then looked sternly at everyone else.

I raised my eyebrows at Derek when there was no movement. He rolled his eyes, then kicked Tyler with the side of his right foot.

"Ow! I'm movin', I'm movin'." Tyler glared at Derek from under his identical dark brow.

Derek looked at me with a "there, I did my part" look, straight-faced.

I scoffed, looking at the other kids who got up as well, and we were all on the road again. Not very happy about it, but we were movin' again.

It took us about another 15 minutes to get to the top of the hill Charlie pointed at. But we finally made it.