Jaylynn

I watched Luke stare blankly around the camp as if he was in another world. It broke my heart that he didn't remember me, but I knew it wasn't his fault. I took careful steps toward him, and opened my mouth to speak. Luke blinked at me, confusion on his face.

"Luke." I touched his shoulder lightly, and stared into his eyes. "This world might not make sense to you right now, but I would be a liar if I told you it wasn't dangerous." I continued on with explaining, "It was on the day of my first birthday. My parents were listening to the news while I played with my toys. That's when I heard the most horrifying sound, and I couldn't breath. A sudden announcement came on the news, telling us to put on gas masks, and stay in our houses. We had heard that the nuclear plants in Asia blew up, causing a chain reaction with Europe. After a year, we finally made our way out of the house. We thought the radiation was our only worry until the mutants. They used to be humans or animals that have been heavily effected by radiation. The mutants have a drive to kill anything living , which is why you have that gun." I pointed and he slightly nodded. I could tell this was hard for him to take on, but I continued.

"I also want you to know, that I'm not a normal girl." I explained the story about when Dr. Lockwood saved my life. Luke's eyes still looked clouded with confusion, and I sighed. "Anyway, this is probably pretty overwhelming for you." I said, and began walking away. A hand placed itself on my shoulder,

"Wait, tell me about how you met me." Luke said, and I stopped in my tracks, and slowly turned around.

"It was the beginning of winter, and I was on a mission to collect supplies. Everyone else was busy in the camp, so I headed out by myself. That's when I met you, Luke. At first you rarely talked to me, and I thought you were the 'silent type" I chuckled and continued on,

"No, I'm starting to remember." Luke brushed me off, and closed his eyes.
I almost cheered and tried to stop myself from screaming in joy.

"You're, Jaylynn." He finally said, and took a deep breath, "I was travelling alone after," He paused, and I noticed tears fill his eyes. I instantly rushed toward him, "I'm remembering." He said, holding his head. I grabbed his hand and helped him sit down on the ground, as I stared into his gas mask.

"My family, they abandoned me." He spoke, and shut his eyes from the pain he remembered. I froze in my spot, after all the time of knowing him, Luke had never told me this.

"Oh my god, Luke. I had no idea." I pulled him in a for a hug, and squeezed him tightly.

"And my best friend, she was killed." His eyes flung open, and he let out a sob as the horrible memories entered his mind. This I didn't know either.

"We found another survivor." Lev came running toward me, and I watched Luke examine him. Lev paid no attention and only kept staring at me, "He doesn't look good though." I rose to my feet,

"I'll be back Luke. Be safe." I left the streets and ran toward Lev. He showed me into a hotel room, where I found a man laying on a bed. A teenage boy, actually. He looked to be my age. I walked toward the bed, and examined the boy. He was wearing a gas mask and had short, light brown hair.

"Hello." I smiled and tapped the guy's shoulder. He didn't move from his slumber. "What's wrong with him?" I asked Lev,

"Melody and Dash think he's in a coma." I nodded softly,

"Makes sense." I quickly called for Apprentice who came running into the room. Checking his collar, I noticed it read zero percent, once again.

"I'm going to take his mask off." I explained to Lev, and carefully dragged it off. When I gazed into the face of the boy, I realized he looked way too familiar.

It was Asher. My twin brother.