Jaylynn

I awoke to the sight of light blue walls around me, and let my eyes wander around the room. My head was hit by a sudden aching pain, and I groaned, rubbing my forehead. "Where am I?" The words fell out of my mouth, as I glanced around the room. The vision in my left eye was blurry, but I finally registered the room I was in was the doctor's office. I dragged my legs off the bed, and hobbled on my weak legs towards a large mirror. My appearance was still the same. Long green hair, fair skin, but I froze upon looking at my left eye. It was no longer purple, it was yellow. In closer inspection, I realized it had a radiation sign in it.

"Oh my god." I cried out, backing up. My side bumped into a cart, and I didn't have time to react as I tripped over the cart, and was sent crashing to the ground.

"Jay!" Melody came running towards me, and she helped me to my feet. She took a step back to examine me, and her gaze met with mine.

"You're eyes-"

"I know." I nodded, and felt a tear fall down my face.

"I don't know what I was thinking." I squeezed my eyes shut, and pressed a hand against them. Melody wrapped her robotic arm around me, and then hugged me. I hugged back, and felt tears gathering in my eyes.

"It's going to be okay." She whispered into my hair, and I cried into her shoulder. My best friend ran her hand through my hair,

"You're so brave." She said.

"Jaylynn?" Someone gasped behind us as they approached. I let go of Melody, and met with the gas mask of Dash. He instantly pulled me in for a bear hug, and I felt more tears.

"I thought you were dead." He whispered, and pulled away from me, his hands shaking.

"Why did you want to die?" He lightly touched my arm, and I avoided eye contact.

"I don't know. I missed my parents, and wanted to be free. Without this stupid gas mask. I explained, and Dash pulled me toward him again. His blue hair brushed against my neck, and I hugged him even tighter.

"I hate wearing masks too." He agreed, and I felt a smile tug at my lips. Dash turned to look at the worried Melody,

"Can I have a moment to speak with Jaylynn?"

"Course." She nodded, and left the office.

"I need to tell you something." Dash started playing with his glasses, a blush forming on his face.

"What is it?" I asked him. Dash opened his mouth to speak, but Lev walked into the office at the same second.

"You idiot." Lev ran towards me, and threw me into a hug. I couldn't help but let out a giggle as my friend pulled me off the ground. Lev put me back on the ground,

"Well come on you two." He waved, and started heading out the door. I started wobbling towards him, and Dash put his arm around mine to give me support as he helped me down the stairs. "Thanks." I smiled. On the way out, I scooped up my mask and strapped it onto my face.

Dash stopped in front of our cabin, and turned to face me.

"Lev, Mel and I are headed out. Stay here, and get some rest." He put a hand on my shoulder, "Please be safe. Look after them." I put a hand on Dash's back.

"Will do." He nodded.

I watched my friend meet with Lev and Melody, and the three of hopped over the fence and left into the city. A sigh escaped my lips, and I turned to head up the stairs to the cabin, but froze when I noticed someone sitting there.

"Oh thank god it's you." I sighed in relief, realizing it was Luke. "Jaylynn." My friend gazed up at me,

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have left you, I should have been able to save you." His voice wavered and turned almost to a whisper. I could hear the pain and sadness in his voice, and my eyes softened.

"Hey. Don't worry about it. Look? I'm right here." I smiled, and sat down on the steps beside Luke.

"I don't know what has happened to you in the past, but I understand what it's like." I rested my hand on top of his, which sent tingles through my arm. Luke stared at the ground, and I squeezed his hand,

"I care about you, Luke.". My eyes met with his, where I could slightly see them through his mask. Luke looked at me for a few seconds, and then looked back at the ground,

"I can't do this.".

"What do you mean?" I blinked, and Luke pushed my hand off his, and got up. I held my hand out to grab his hoodie and stop him, but he was already long gone. A frown formed on my face, and I glanced up at the dark sky, wondering where he was going.

"Hi." Fiona walked towards me, and took a seat on the steps next to me.

"Did that idiot leave you, again?" The girl looked out into the distance, and I frowned,

"What do you mean?",

"That day you turned into a mutant, he left then too. I told him to stop shutting people out of his life." She sighed and rested a hand on her forehead.

"I understand why he's like that though, because I was once too." I sighed, and Fiona looked at me, a sad expression crossing her face.

"What happened?"

"I was fourteen when the mutants starting getting out of hand, and attacking our neighbourhood. My parents, my brother and I were forced to leave to a safe camp. While we were there, my dad had told us there was an island near Canada that was safe from Radiation and mutants. The next morning, we headed out on a mission to find the airport where a flight to the island was. On the way there, my parents were both killed by mutants, and my brother and I got split up. I haven't seen him since, I don't even know if he's alive." I trembled, and felt tears travel down my eyes. Fiona looked at me, her eyes filled with sympathy.

"I guess we've all had our share of bad times." She pulled me close to her for a hug, and I felt more tears. This was the first time I'd cried since my parents death, since they always said,

"Be strong, now matter how hard life gets. You'll get through it.". I sobbed and Fiona held me even tighter, and she started to cry.

"You know, I don't believe we have ever really talked all that much, until today." She said through tears, and I giggled a little,

"I don't think we have.". I buried my head in Fiona's shoulder, and the two of us just sat and cried for as long as I can remember.