Chapter. 30

"Are you sure this is the right place?" Jason asked me uncertainly, as we rang the doorbell for the fifth time.

I frowned, "I've been here before." I said. Was nobody home? Or did they change houses?

I was about to ring the doorbell again when the door opened and Chloe stood in the doorway. She flashed me a bright smile as she said, "Hi Sofia, sorry you had to stand here for so long. I was in the shower."

"No problem, uh," I said, "Can we come in?"

Chloe stepped to the side and we entered the house.

"Is Hannah home?" Jason asked. Chloe nodded and went upstairs.

"Chances she'll be mad at me?" I said quietly.

"One thousand?" Jason joked and I gasped.

"Jason!"

"Okay sorry, I think it's fifty fifty?"

I hoped so.

On hearing footsteps, I looked up to see Hannah coming downstairs. She sat in front of me,

"Hi," she said, "How are you?"

"I'm good." I answered.

I cleared my throat, "Uh, Hannah?" I said hesitantly.

Hannah smiled, "Yes Sofia?"

"I am so sorry; I accused you even though it was Vivian all along. I feel so bad," I began earnestly. "I caused troubles for you. I truly apologize for what I did,"

Hannah shook her head as she held both my hands in hers, "Hey Fia, it's fine." She said.

I stared at her, "No it's not,"

"Yes it is," she said.

"Thanks," I said and she took a deep breath,

"I'll tell you why I had those items. The wig; in my school, There was a play and I was required for the princess's role. I had to wear a black gown since the princess was in grief, but my blonde hair didn't suit on the dress, it made me look like an old woman. So I brought a wig that suited with it."

I waited for what was coming next.

She went on, "We had to cut up the cardboard but the scissor went missing at the eleventh hour. So I took a pocket knife to School. And I woke up late on that day so I grabbed the peach purse in a hurry."

Hannah laughed a bit, "And I know you're going to ask that when you saw Rhea dead and were walking back, you saw me enter. Well I went upstairs because during lights out, my hands crashed with the waiter who was bringing the wedding cake and my hands were covered with frosting. I went upstairs before Rhea screamed. I had no idea that Rhea was dead."

"And the chains?" I asked,

"I saw this tutorial on YouTube that showed how to make a DIY Chandelier using chains. I love arts and crafts but sadly I didn't have chains. When Brandon, your boyfriend's best friend, asked me out to your school's winter ball; I asked him if he had chains. He said that your best friend, Elena had them since she had brought them to school some months back." Hannah took a deep breath, "So I went to Elena's home. She was super nice and said that I could borrow the chains for some weeks."

I nodded in realization, "Hannah! You should've told me this earlier, but it was my fault. My mind was engrossed in Rhea so I didn't pay attention to the other things around me." I said, and Hannah smiled,

"Well, what's done is done." She said. "Now we have to pay attention to the present,"

"Well said," I agreed.

"And I know, Rhea is dead," She said, not meeting my gaze. "But we have to move on, don't we?"

"I know," I said softly as Jason took my hand in his. I looked at him and smiled.

"And as for us, we're friends forever." She said and we hugged.

That was all that mattered that time.