Chapter. 20

"—some hours before Aiden went missing, he sent a letter. This is the only thing he's sent me as far as I can remember." I told Jason as I handed him the letter.

"Hm,"

"I read it yesterday, except for the letter; there are no extra words." I said standing up and going towards the bookshelf.

"Let's see," he said, peering closely at the letter.

I looked at the shelves with interest and took out a book, "I didn't know you read," I said with a smirk and he rolled his eyes then smiled, "I do, but not like a bookworm." He said and looked at me. I stuck out my tongue at him and he laughed.

"Ooh you have Romeo and Juliet?"

"Yeah, I guess you love literature right?"

"Yep,"

"You can borrow it if you like,"

I grinned at him, "Are you sure?"

"Yeah, I've read it."

With the book in my hands, I went back towards him and sat down on a bean-bag. "Found anything yet?" I asked coolly. Jason was holding the letter upside-down. "Um no," he answered.

He showed it to me, "there are no extra letters just like you said."

"But there has to be something." I said, "Give it to me."

I read the letter three times, and then something fit into place. "Aha," I said standing up. I went to the balcony where there was plenty of sunlight. "Look," I said. Jason looked over my shoulder, his face puzzled.

"Look at the sign." I said patiently. "The whole letter is in black yeah?"

"And the sign—"

"The first three letters of Aiden's name are in Charcoal blue!" he exclaimed and I smiled, "exactly."

But the smiled vanished from Jason's face, "Sofia, if we pair Br and Aid together, they make the word braid."

"What's a braid got to do with it?"

"I don't know, have you seen someone with a braid lately?"

I stared at Jason, "seriously? How is that related to our mystery?"

"Well, maybe the person could give us a clue?"

"I've seen your sister Riana with a braid." I said and he chuckled.

"Okay, I see your point."

There was a knock on the door and Jason said, "Come in,"

Lucy opened the door and stepped in, "Sofia, Jason lunch is ready." She informed us sweetly. I stood up, "Lucy, you didn't do much; right?" I asked. (Jason's mom and dad preferred that I call them by their first names)

Please let the answer be no, please.

"You'll have to see for yourself sweetie." She replied.

I stared at her as she left, laughing and then I turned to Jason, "She didn't do much right?" I asked with wide eyes.

"You'll have to see for yourself sweetie." He imitated his mother's voice and I hit him on the back, he just laughed.

"You are so mean."

"I know right, now come on."

In the dining room, I stopped in my tracks the moment I set eyes on the table. There was chicken parmesan, mince pies, Russian salad and perfectly cooked hamburgers.