Chapter. 14

I took a deep breath to calm myself then took his arm. "Yes." While he guided me up to the doors. How would people react when they would see me with Jason? I hoped that they didn't recognize us. But still, I was confident about this.

A SMALL QUEUE of people lined up with their partners, waiting to have their photo taken under the magnificent blue and white flower archway against the wall of the ballroom. Jason guided me into the queue, and I shot him a smile.

The delicate crystal chandeliers gave the room a warm glow, throwing sparkles off the gold that lined the walls, the pillars, the ceiling. Twinkling lights hung on the walls and the ceiling, creating a night sky effect. The marble floor was splashed with shadows of dancing people. The ceiling went up in a high dome, and there was a hot cocoa bar against one wall. Small round tables with white tablecloths and ice sculptures arrangements stood around the sides of the ballroom, and the band were set up on a low platform at the far end.

In short, it was perfect. Unbelievably, flawlessly beautiful.

"It's beautiful." I said to Jason and he agreed.

"Next?" the photographer called.

We moved into his spotlight. I stood there a little awkwardly, aware of people looking at us. Of course, they were really only watching because we were having our photo taken. In thirty seconds the focus would be on the next couple. But right now, I was just waiting for someone to cry, 'Oh my gosh! What is Sofia doing with Davies?"

I smiled into the lens and the flash was almost blinding, then—

"Next?"

I took a breath of relief. Thank god that was over.

'Are you thirsty?'

'Uh, y-yeah.'

'I'll go grab some drinks.'

'Okay.'

No sooner had Jason left, someone spun me around. "Sofia? Oh my god! You look so pretty!" Elena exclaimed. "We have to take a photo."

"I could say the same about you." I said with a smile as she took a picture. "Oh wait here, Ryan's calling me" Elena said looking over my shoulder.

Before hurrying off, she said quietly, "Be confident Fia."

"Confident? In what?" I asked, confused.

Elena just winked at me.

Dinner would be served in forty minutes and I was not planning on spending all that time alone. Why did we have masquerade again? Forget cool and chic and fun. It was annoying.

A masked red-head approached me, "Are you Sofia?" she asked and I nodded, "Yes, and you are?"

"Autumn." The girl said with a smile. "Why did we have a masquerade? I am tired of calling people by their wrong name."

I agreed.

"Liam told me to find you, there's some problems with the drinks." Autumn said.

"I didn't plan the food, Ryan did." I told her.

"I know but Liam wants you."

I sighed, "Fine."

I went to the kitchens to find Liam, Ryan, a senior and a chef arguing.

"It is really sour!" the senior complained.

"Well, there's nothing we can do." Ryan said in an annoyed tone.

"Well, can't you make it more sweet?" the senior suggested.

"No! That will ruin the whole taste!" the chef fumed.