(Chapter 100) The Food Chain

Start from the beginning

"No, just the one already in it." Jasper joked back with a wink.

The entire class laughed, including Lucy.

Wilham took a pen off of one of the student's desks and flung it at Jasper like he did to him but missed.

"If either one of you hit me I'm ripping you both a new hole." Pecilia threatened as the pen had passed just next to her head.

"Is that a promise?" Wilham asked, stopping his attack on Jasper to flirt. Jasper took the opportunity to get his original pen back and launch it at him again.

"Ow!" Wilham cried, while rubbing his sore butt furiously. "How did you manage to get it in the same exact spot!"

The entire class laughed, even Pecilia.

Punditwood chuckled along. The professor knew he should stop it but he rather enjoyed the antics sometimes too.

Jasper took the opportunity to look over at Lucy and was glad to see her laughing. He also noticed the only other person in class who wasn't smiling or laughing as Algernon stared at Lucy too, but with a detached expression. Jasper wondered just what that look meant, but didn't have long to ponder as Wilham tried to retaliate with another attack.

Jasper plunged out of the way at the last second but it hit Punditwood instead.

The professor glared at where the pen had landed at his feet and the stain it left on his best white shirt.

"Oh shit." Wilham and Jasper said at the same time.

Punditwood formed a small ball of light magic in both palms and dispatched the energy at the boys. Jasper was swift and bright enough to put up a defense field though he was still slammed back on his ass.

Wilham didn't think to create one and flew until his back hit the back wall.

"Now then back to today's lessons." Punditwood declared, adjusting his collar. Jasper strolled back to his seat, and everyone left Wilham at the back of the classroom moaning from his injuries.

After class Jasper cornered Lucy.

"Lucy, what's wrong?" He asked when no one was around to hear it.

"Oh, it's nothing," Lucy said, feeling that voicing her concerns would only make her more insecure.

"Like nothing you want to tell me, or nothing like when girls say I'm fine and they're really not?" Jasper asked.

"The first one."

"Alright," Jasper said. "But if you want me to pretend to listen and nod my head and agree with everything you say just let me know."

Lucy released an honest laugh. "How do you know so much about women already?"

"I mean it's an interest of mine," Jasper replied. "As is making sure my friends are happy." He said, smiling at Lucy.

Lucy smiled too but when she noticed Algernon behind his shoulder it's fullness waned.

"Hey," Jasper said, noticing her drooping demeanor, "I think there's something I could do to cheer you up tonight."

Lucy raised an eyebrow questioning the implication behind his fake flirtatious tone.

"Not that." Jasper denied, rolling his eyes. "Plus you're not my type."

"Of course, I'm not," Lucy said. "You're too much a masochist for me to be your type."

Jasper only winked at her incrimination.

"You're not really thinking of bringing her to the party tonight are you?" Pecilia chided Jasper, after overhearing their conversation.