𝑇𝐻𝐸 𝑅𝐸𝑇𝑈𝑅𝑁

AS SOON AS THE ENTRANCE TO THE MAZE CLOSED, IT FELT AS IF THE AIR HAD GOTTEN HEAVIER

AS SOON AS THE ENTRANCE TO THE MAZE CLOSED, IT FELT AS IF THE AIR HAD GOTTEN HEAVIER. Natasha's eyes widened as she looked around, the air cool enough that she was able to see her own breath. She shivered slightly as she wished she had a jacket to pull around herself. However, all she had on her was her suit, wand, and other things she might need in case of an emergency.

Which basically meant: Getting the Hell out of the Maze if she's being chased by a crazy ax-murderer or something.

Natasha felt she was pretty well prepared in case of an emergency! Lifting up her wand, she muttered a soft, "lumos," and bright light filled the gloomy maze. Quietly making her way forward, she kept herself in a defensive position at all times; her eyes narrowed in concentration as she surveyed her surroundings.

The sticks cracked underneath her feet, no matter how many times she tried to avoid them. Out of the corner of her eye, she caught something. It was a sphinx. A creature with the body of a lion, giant clawed hands like a bird, and a long, yellowish tail that swished back and forth in anticipation. Turning her head towards the creature, it seemed to notice Natasha's appearance. It turned its head towards her, and with that, Natasha was able to see the creature had a head of a beautiful woman.

It was so odd, yet so beautiful to see. The female sphinx tilted her head to the side as she watched Natasha, who locked gazes with her and wouldn't let go. "It's odd, is it not? The first creature you encounter, and it's me. I'm supposed to be one of the last creatures you're supposed to meet." the sphinx had a husky voice, her eyes sharp as she looked at Natasha in curiosity. "You are most certainly an interesting human. I would be even more careful once you get past me."

She said nothing, and the woman seemed just fine with that. "You're very near your goal, my child. The quickest way is past me." She explained to the ginger, who thought about her words. The Sphinx was right, it was pretty odd Natasha had barely encountered any monsters -- or well--the easy ones.

Why hadn't she been attacked? While yes, she was quiet, she was pretty sure many creatures could hear her. Did they hear her and just decide not to attack? No... that wouldn't make any sense. They're supposed to be hunting her, and they're acting like it's a deer-hunting season. She had brushed it off earlier, but she now noticed it was too quiet; way too quiet.

"What are the other ways?" Natasha asked, just for pure curiosity. If she couldn't get past the sphinx, she should know what she was up against. The sphinx shrugged gracefully, an odd look in her eyes. Rolling her eyes, Natasha asked what the riddle was.

The creature smiled, her teeth were sharp as she leaned back on her hind legs, her body blocking the middle of the path.

"First think of the person who lives in disguise,
Who deals in secrets and tells naught but lies.
Next, tell me what's always the last thing to mend,
The middle of middle and end of the end?
And finally give me the sound often heard,
During the search for a hard-to-find word.
Now string them together and answer me this,
Which creature would you be unwilling to kiss?"