Book 1: Water | 15 | Giant Fish?

Start from the beginning

"That's great, Aang." Katara answered, not even looking up. She was still trying to focus on not messing up Sokka's pants... more.

"You didn't even look."

Katara looks, "That's great!" She says, her poor acting skills shining.

"But I'm not doing it now." Aang deflates.

"Stop bugging her, airhead." Sokka waves his hand lazily at Aang, "You need to give girls space when they do their sewing."

Ayaan raised his eyebrow at the statement but said nothing. He didn't need to say anything, because Katara did herself.

"What does me being a girl have to do with sewing?" She asked, irritation clear in her voice.

"Simple. Girls are better at fixing pants than guys and guys are better at hunting and fighting and stuff like that." He answered easily, not noticing his sister's irritation skyrocket. "It's just the natural order of things."

'But Katara is physically stronger than you are?' Ayaan thought. Sokka and Katara did not seem to take notice of their eldest brother's confusion as they continued on.

"All done with your pants!" Katara said sarcastically. The pants were not even close to being finished, the hole very clear in them. "And look what a great job I did!" She threw them at Sokka, the pants slapping him in the face for her.

Sokka immediately regretted opening his mouth. "Wait! I was just kidding." He pleads, putting his arm through the gaping hole in his pants. "I can't wear these! Katara, please!"

After letting him beg and apologize for a few glorious minutes, and a bit of prompting from their eldest brother, she begrudgingly took the pants back to continue trying to fix them. Some time passed and Aang seemed to have a better handle on where he was thanks to the altitude. He and Ayaan switched places as he began guiding Appa in the correct direction.

Ayaan, now back in the saddle, went over to the frustrated Katara. "How is it going?" He asked, looking over her work.

The hole in Sokka's pants was massive, big enough to fit an arm through. He'd snagged it on a branch during their training somehow, and since he didn't pack any extra clothes, this was the only option. Ayaan tried giving him his spare pants, but they were way too big for him.

Let's just say... Ayaan did not miss leg day.

"It's... going." She said, her voice agitated, still irked from before. Katara was not great at sewing; Ayaan could see how many times she had to retry to get the stitch right before continuing. Although she was taught the basics of how to sew by the women of their tribe, it was still something she did not excel at.

Being around a sexist idiot did not help the issue.

"Want any help?" Ayaan offered. He may not be able to sew, but he could find a way to assist her to make it easier. While Katara was grateful for the offer of assistance, she shook her head in reply.

"Nah, I got it. But thanks." She gave him a grateful smile, before sending a pointed glare at her other sibling. "At least I have one competent brother."

"Sokka has his good points." Ayaan said encouragingly. Both he and Katara were his very capable siblings. He would never tell them any different. That was, unless they did something utterly stupid.

"Debatable." She said, not convinced. Sokka was, well, Sokka. It was a bit hard to find quality in him when compared to Ayaan, her favorite sibling. This brother was much better. Plus he didn't make jabs at her being a girl for every activity they did together.