(Chapter 95) The Line Between Us

Lucy ran as fast as she could through the forest, feeling almost weightless as the force of her magic pushed against gravity for her. The propulsion technique meant she could cover more distance than she ever could in her regular running pace. But it was a hard thing to get used to as she was in the air for a lot longer and landing on the bumpy and uneven forest floor was challenging. Still, Lucy pushed herself so hard she could feel the arches of her feet swelling but she eventually covered enough distance that she started to think that even Algernon wouldn't be able to find her.

That was of course until he found her.

When Lucy spotted the dark flashes of movement between the trees besides her, her heart plummeted. Algernon's black eyes pressed into her and adrenaline flooded her veins. She put everything into running faster and making sharp turns that she hoped would trick his footing, but Algernon was locked on, appearing in every break between the trees with his scythe slicing through the air as he effortlessly followed after her.

Lucy sprang forward with more force behind her magic but every time she got somewhat ahead and lost sight of Algernon, he reappeared, keeping pace without breaking a sweat by using the technique with much more speed and accuracy.

A tremor coursed down Lucy's spine every time she spotted him. It was terrifying to be chased by Algernon, especially after she had just seen him ruthlessly take out half of the students in the tournament with one swing of his weapon. But she promised Luke to keep him distracted as long as possible. Lucy bit her cheeks, preparing for the longest liftoff she had attempted so far. She sent bursts of energy to her feet, feeling the acute pain it caused but it was working as she flew feet off the ground, which is when Algernon decided to end the hunt. With one swift motion, he tore Lucy out of the air by her ankle and flat onto her back.

All air ejected out of Lucy's lungs and Algernon stood above her, his scythe still in hand, as his chest rose and fell.

"I thought you were supposed to be naked," Algernon muttered, sounding disappointed as his eyes hazy with adrenaline and something else rolled over Lucy. "Just for Luke lying to me, I'm taking this." He knelt to slide his fingers under Lucy's bracelet.

"No." Lucy weakly cried as she tried to pull her hand away.

Algernon paused. A sick part of him liked to watch her struggle, and with his self-restraint already weakened from all the efforts he expended today, he didn't fight strongly against his twisted indulgences.

He stiffened his hold on the bracelet and started to draw it off. Lucy watched the commander's bracelet glowing blue color diminish, knowing it meant she was about to lose the game for her entire team.

"No!" Lucy croaked out, but Algernon just watched her with ruthless apathy, leaning in to get a closer view of her pointless struggling. "Algernon please, don't." She begged, her voice strained and high pitched. The tone caused Algernon to hesitate and Lucy sensed it.

"Please." Lucy's voice softened and Algernon completely forgot about the game and the context of her plea. He just knew that he really liked seeing her beg for him.

"Would you like to fight me for it instead?" Algernon asked his eyes lazingly moving over her.

A sudden shudder shot down Lucy's spine as Algernon's voice came out deep and sharp like the teeth of an animal with his fangs hovered right above the artery in her neck, to which he was very close to sinking in.

Lucy knew she was being toyed with, like how a cat would release a mouse so it could hunt it down again. Still, she nodded her head.

Algernon set her free, but stared her down. "Then I won't go easy on you."